Coolermaster 692 Basic vs Advanced? Centurion 5-2?

entropism

2[H]4U
Anyone have any info as to what the differences are between the 690 II advanced and basic? Can't seem to find any info.

Also, found the Centurion 5 II on CM's global site, but no release info or if it's even coming to the US. Seems to me that would be the ideal case for me, as far as looks, cable management, and airflow. Anyone have any info on this?

Here is a video that describes the differences between the basic and advanced
http://cmhd.tv/video.php?id=28

It's probably mostly the top panel stuff.
CM 690 II Advanced Edition Features
The CM 690 II Advanced includes an external HDD dock, meaning you can now access files from a drive without an external enclosure or the need to open up the case. In addition, to keep your system future-proof, it also comes with a 1.8”/2.5” drive cage for smaller SSD drives. Advanced edition also features a revolutionary steel GPU retention bracket that can be reinforce the weight of up to three graphics cards while providing an option fan mount on the bracket, yet ensuring that heavy and long graphics cards have additional support.

Differences between the Centurion 5 and the 5 II:
The 5 II moves the IO panel to a drive bay and can be moved up or down, moves the PSU to the bottom and looks to have better airflow, larger fans, etc.
Internal layout is very much like the 690 and includes an SSD adapter.

Last edited:
The Basic is $20 less than the Advanced. It's about $79.99 which totally beats the pants off NZXT, Thermaltake, Antec chassis at that price range for cooling and cable management. They cut down the costs for modders looking to make their own Advanced.

Newegg
NCIX

The CM 690 II new models are aligned in good, better and best.
RC-692-KKN3 = Basic $79.99
RC-692-KKN1 = Plus $89.99
RC-692-KKN2 = Advanced $99.99

Compared to Advanced:

- No X-dock HDD Hot Swap
- No top fan
- No GPU retention holder
- No front 140mm fan (replaced with 120mm)
- Cardboard non color box instead of color printed box
- Not so many tool free ODD
- No 3.5" front panel adapter for FDD
- No 2 in 1 SSD drive tray

It keeps
- Modular removable hard drive bays
- Filters all around
- Black interior
- Everything else :D

Thanks for that video, charlesshoults... Listening to her describe stuff she has NO idea about, on top of mangling the English language made me chuckle.

Anyone know when/if the Centurion 5 II is coming to the US? The 692 basic fits my needs, but the Centurion would be the ideal.

Last edited:
Thanks for that video, charlesshoults... Listening to her describe stuff she has NO idea about, on top of mangling the English language made me chuckle.

Anyone know when/if the Centurion 5 II is coming to the US? The 692 basic fits my needs, but the Centurion would be the ideal.

I think the C5 II will not be able to support the GPU above 10.5" which means no 5870 and no 5970. Is that okay with you?

I like the video BTW, Amanda Gift totally slaughters the english language:
- "Functuality" :eek:

Well, I'm using an 8800gt right now, and the last game I played was WoW... almost 2 years ago. That being said, if the card makers continue this ridiculous trend, yeah, I might be ass out of luck later on, so maybe I should go with the 692, or possibly a Lian Li.

Man, what does a guy have to do to be able to get good cable management AND have room to suspend his hard drives, while keeping a quiet but good looking case?

I bought a 692 advanced a few days ago and really like it over the Zalman GS1000 I had. The Zalman is really nice but too big. Size along with the features and wire management are what sold me. Not a huge gamer that requires a 5870 or 5970, so I don't have a problem in that area.

I have a Rocketfish/Lian Li full tower, and while I love the fact that I got it for $40 a few years back, it's just f-ing HUGE. I'm running the quietest fans that I can, all undervolted, and everything just echos and reverberates like crazy. Hell, even my Corsair HX-620 which is dead silent just roars.

I miss my old case, a Fong Kai FK-330, which was a 30lb beast of a case, with double steel doors. Too bad they don't make them anymore.

just bought this case from buy.com 3 days ago. got it yesterday and filled it up.
I switched to this case from a lian li pc-a05b unmodded because i need room for 4 hard drives.
i am loving this case. the a05b was really sweet cuz it was so light but if you dont mod a blowhole the cooling in that case is f*cking awful.

using all stock fans + a scythe ninja with a sycth s-flex 1600rpm all on full speed. pretty near silent.

Functuality... Uh, what? We can make feng shui a reality for you.
Cooler Master has an interesting marketing campaign going on there, using hot chicks to describe their products. Amanda Gift. As long as she doesn't have to use any big words, she can totally be my spokesperson.
ag1.jpg

using all stock fans + a scythe ninja with a sycth s-flex 1600rpm all on full speed. pretty near silent.

LOL, we have WAY different ideas about silent. I have 4 Gentle Typhoon 1150 RPM models, undervolted so they're spinning at about 800RPM, and I'm still annoyed by the noise.

I'll be looking to suspend two hard drives to get some silence there, as well.

As for their spokesmodel, yeahhh... It took me about 2 minutes to notice she even had a head, but I just couldn't get past the stupidity. I would, however, be willing to look past it if she ever knocked on my door.

lol entropism your right i've since noticed that its not really silent on full fan speed. at 7v they are alot quieter but i can still hear them but it doesnt bother me at all.

yeah, the rubber grommet mounted drives in my Rocketfish case annoy me, with the case about 4 feet away from me and under a desk. I'm horrible when it comes to silence, the slightest noise annoys the crap out of me.

Back