Coolermaster 1000 or 1000 S?

Frek77

Weaksauce
Every summer I go through the same heat problems. I live in Southern Florida and during the summertime I can barely stand to sit in my office for more than an hour if I'm gaming. I keep my AC for the house set at 77 (which is comfortable if you're used to FL weather). After any amount of time of gaming the ambient temp in my office easily rises to the high 80's. Last summer I just put up with it and just turned down my AC, however that makes the rest of the house pretty cold and raises my power bill.

A major part of the problem is I'm running a 680i chipset, which is absolutely horrible for temps. Add on top of that 2 8800 GTS and I basically have a space heater. I have to run the system with the side of the case off or it overheats in a matter of minutes. Here's what it looks like:

The computer itself is fine temp wise. The cpu rarely crosses the 50ish barrier even under extreme load. Most of the heat is generated by the crappy nfarce chipset. If you look at the pic you'll see I glued a small 5000 rpm fan to the NB to help dissipate the heat. Under load I cannot hold my finger on either the SB or NB for more than 2 seconds, even at stock speeds. The 8800's are also very hot. They work fine but they blow a lot of rather hot air out the back of the case. Surprisingly the top card runs hotter than the bottom one, probably because the SB is right underneath it.

I'm getting rid of the motherboard and replacing it with either a P35 or an X48. (Possibly a P45 if they are actually available before the end of June) I haven't decided yet. I'm also going to scrap the 8800's and buy a single ATI 4850 when they are released in a couple of weeks. Doing those 2 things will probably dramatically decrease the heat.

I also want to get a full tower case. I'm willing to drop up to $250 for a really decent case. I really don't care what it looks like as long as it's well made and is able to keep my system cool.

I considered the antec 1200, but after really looking at what you get, this case simply does not warrant the price of it.

I really like the Coolermaster 1000. It seems to have alot of extras and be very sturdy. I'm well aware that there is a possible issue with the HDD cooling. I'm only running a 7200 rpm 640 MB SATA and at most I'd maybe add one more down the road.

I would really like to hear from some people that have experience with either of these cases, especially you have this case and run it in a room with a higher than normal ambient temp.

The Coolermaster 1000 S has that 200mm fan on the side but you give up a lot to get it over the just the 1000.

Hi frek77.

I haven't had any problems cooling my HDD but I only have the one atm. I have bolted extra fans to that area to improve airflow over my components which probably also helps keep the HDD temp down. It's usually around 29C idle and I have yet to see it go past 34C. My room temps have ranged from 21-26 this past week and my temperatures always remain at an acceptable level.

Here is a pic of my case so you can see the fans I have added.

IMGP0923.png

It's a great case to work with and I prefer it over the S. The main reason being that this version is much quieter and due to problems with the Side fan on the Cosmos S Coolermaster are bringing out a revision which has scrapped the side fan in favour of a side window.

Good luck with whatever case you choose!

Very nice, I never considered that there is room to put fans against the HD cage. If I'm not mistaken there is even a grill on the lower HD cage where you have the bottom fan.

I've read every review I could find on this case and the only complaint I could ever find was the HDD cooling, but these were complaints from people who were running multiple Raptors.

I much prefer the look of the cosmos and the sound dampening. That settles it I'm gonna get the Cosmos. I have 3 high CM 120mm fans and more 80mm fans laying around I'm sure I can make whatever adjustments I need to. I'm be running a much cooler chipset and going to a 1 card solution. I'm sure I'll be much happier.

Yes there is a grill there. If you want to know anything more feel free to ask. :)

I think you'd be better off with a 4870 when they are released tbh. Also if you want to go crossfire in the future the x38/x48 are the best choice.

I hate to be the one to state the obvious but if your room is hot then your cooling is doing it's job and no case in the world is going to remove the heat from your room. You are generating a whole lot of heat and the case and components are transferring that heat to the surrounding air as they've been designed to do. You need to either find an alternate method of cooling the room better or remove some of the heat source. If a different case makes your room cooler it would mean it's retaining heat internally which is the exact opposite of what it should be doing.

Either find cooler components or buy a ceiling fan :)

EDIT: DOH! It's amazing what you learn when you actually read the post! Sounds like you already have a plan to reduce your heat output.

I'm leaning toward the X48 simply to keep the options open as I'm the type that likes push things beyond what is needed. The [H] review says that he was able to touch the NB and SB during testing and they remained reletively cool. I see that the 4870 is now going to be out on June 23 so I'm gonna go for one of those, hopefully 1 4870 won't put out the heat that 2 8800's do.

I do have a question. Can you comment on the VGA tunnel thing, is it actually usefull or does it have little effect?

I never use it. I haven't noticed any difference with or without it so it's easier to keep it out. Best thing to do is try it out yourself when you get the case. And yes x48 is the way forward atm. I think I'll keep my x38 until the Nehalem chips are released and get an x58 board then.

Back