• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cooler recommandation

Qafyg

n00b
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
29
Hi, I'd like to overclock E8400 to 3.5, maybe 3.6.

Can anyone recommand a heat sink with decent cooling capabilites that is easy to install and if possible doesn't make much noise. I'm the kind of guy that has problem installing his stock heatsink :) I've seen the top 5 cooler list, etc. But none emphasis on how hard it is to install the things.

Thanks.
 
Xigmatek HDT-S1283. It does use the stock push-pin mounting system though, so if you have trouble with that you might want to get the additional bolt-through kit that costs about $7 IIRC, which uses screws to mount the heatsink to a metal bracket that goes behind the motherboard.
 
If you're only looking at 3.6, the stock cooler should be able to handle it. I am using it right now (but I plan to get something better and go higher), but I idle at ~40C and under load with intel burn test I hit 69-70C, but typical use won't put it above 50C and Crysis might push it to 55C. Just my thoughts. Its not really all that loud either, only goes to about 1700rpm under full load.
 
You need this heatsink the website shows you how to install it so you cant mess up and it cools wonderfully and is really quiet.
 
You need this heatsink the website shows you how to install it so you cant mess up and it cools wonderfully and is really quiet.

The CNPS9500 is pretty shitty by today's standards, not to mention highly overpriced. Definitely not a good buy.
 
I've got my e8400 @ 3.6. Its easy with only DDR800. Just run a 1:1 ratio with the stock multiplier of 9 and increase the fsb from 333 to 400. I'd recommend the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Its cheap, effective and the push pins work perfect. It required much less force to install vs the stock cooler.
 
Well if the 9500 isnt up to "your standards" just get the 9700 then it still holds its own trust me. Dont talk back to your daddy!:eek:
 
Well if the 9500 isnt up to "your standards" just get the 9700 then it still holds its own trust me. Dont talk back to your daddy!:eek:

Oooorrr, you could spend less and get the better performing Xigmatek already mentioned in this thread. Crazy idea, I know.
 
He needs one pretty basic to instal and a few degrees is not better cooling, i would just stick to the zalman for him.
 
He needs one pretty basic to instal and a few degrees is not better cooling, i would just stick to the zalman for him.

It's better when it's also CHEAPER. Why would you spend more for worse performance, even if only a few degrees? That makes absolutely no sense at all.
 
He needs one pretty basic to instal and a few degrees is not better cooling, i would just stick to the zalman for him.

The Xigmatek is easier to install than the Zalman, and is also significantly cheaper. It wouldn't make the least bit of sense to buy the Zalman which is inferior in every way.
 
The zalman is cool, one of the first coolers I owned. It's not that great when it comes to performance/price when it is compared to the xigmatek. If he wants a simple installation, I'd got with the xigmatek, zalman just gives you too many cuts:(.
 
Well when it comes to coolers im a zalman fan, and i never even heard of xigamatek or whatever till a couple months ago and i have never used one so im just going off strictly of experience.
 
Well when it comes to coolers im a zalman fan, and i never even heard of xigamatek or whatever till a couple months ago and i have never used one so im just going off strictly of experience.

Well, if you don't know what you're talking about then you shouldn't make any comments about it, since they could very well end up being incorrect like they were here. Zalman coolers perform alright, except they're very expensive and there are many better coolers out there which are easier to work with as well as being cheaper.
 
Well when it comes to coolers im a zalman fan, and i never even heard of xigamatek or whatever till a couple months ago and i have never used one so im just going off strictly of experience.

I'm going strictly off experience also. That experience involves having used both the CNPS9500 and the Xigmatek. I wouldn't even hesitate in suggesting the Xigmatek over the Zalman any day.

You can be as much of a fanboy as you want, but don't try arguing against performance that's been tested mutiple times recently. You also can't argue against price when one is clearly cheaper than the other.

If you haven't used something then don't trash it.

And +1 to the Zalman if you want to cut yourself. I remember coming out with small slices all over my hands after trying to get that damn retention bar screwed down.
 
thats because your an idiot and dont know how to handle things with sharp edges, and this is going no where extremely fast,
 
thats because your an idiot and dont know how to handle things with sharp edges, and this is going no where extremely fast,

Don't be an asshole. You started this by giving a bad recommendation, so don't go crying and calling people names when they correct you about it.
 
I'd suggest OCZ Vendetta 2, Xigmatek S1283, TRUE, or Sunbeam Tech Core-Contact Freezer all are good coolers. If you don't mind spending the extra the TRUE is still the best though you would need to get a fan too. However for the money I'd definitely say get the Xigmatek S1283 or the Sunbeam Tech Core-Contact Freezer both are very good coolers and fairly cheap.
 
Can we get a friggin' sticky for the popular heatsinks? It seems like every day, people are asking about heatsink recommendations for their E8400, or Q6600. Do a Google search, look for Newegg's top sellers... or even better. Try browsing through the threads in the forum looking for some info, instead of starting a new one, asking the same question.
 
thats because your an idiot and dont know how to handle things with sharp edges, and this is going no where extremely fast,

The fanboyism runs deep with you, doesn't it? Calm down, boy, calm down.

Stop with the useless name calling. Just face it, you were wrong, horribly wrong. Move along now.
 
look let the guy that posted this thread search newegg and the web and and other vendors and let him find out on his own. And we need to make up:D:D:D
 
Hey OP,

If you give me a few minutes, I've got some suggestions for ya.

I just need to pull up some linkage ...

un momento por favor...
 
For the price, this cooler is really where it's at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Currently $27 shipped. I picked it up for $25 or $26 back in the day. It was quiet, the install was a piece of cake, and yet it wasn't heavy enough to put hardly any stress on the motherboard.

Link to an excellent review here:

http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3210

Very very good cooler for the price/size/noise ratio.

Just for the record, I will relate my only personal experience to date with Xigmatek. They have some excellent high end and mid range coolers, but I took a shot at one of their $20 coolers that Newegg had on sale.

First, I built a tiny HTPC in a very small case. Because I wanted better than stock cooler performance in my cramped case (processor was hitting 50c at idle with stock clocks and voltage. Youch!) I purchased one of these from Silverstone:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220030

Kind of a pain in the butt to mount. Had to remove factory plate and replace it with the custom Silverstone plate, something I usually don't have to do. I used some decent but not top end silver paste to mount it. Temps went down to 40-42c, and even more importantly noise levels reduced dramatically, and the Silverstone HS is so short. Holy cow is it small!

After upgrading to the silverstone cooler, I also ordered one of those BE 2400 processors when they were on sale for $25 shipped! The change from a 65w processor to a 45w processor was tremendous! Temps dropped from 40c to 30c immediately after changing the processor, even in the tiny case - I was able to take out a fan and make it a tad quieter too, because the Silverstone cooler left more room in the case for airflow.

I was pleased then, but since then have upgraded to a larger nicer quality HTPC case that will accommodate more drives, bigger (quieter) fans, and better cooling. Newegg had this particular Xigmatek on sale for $12 (normally $22 I think) plus shipping, and reviews were good, so I bought one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233022

Quite a bit larger than the Silverstone, it looked like a decent cooler. For this CPU mounting job I went with more expensive MX2, which is supposed to be better than AS5, last longer, and requires no curing period. I did a very careful job mounting it to the CPU.

Idle temps in my better case with more room and better airflow are now back up to 49c on idle!! And the stupid xigmatek fan is the noisiest fan in the case, even noisier than my 80mm PSU fan! I'm not impressed at all. I remounted it again, and the results are the same. Noise levels too high, temps not impressive at all. The similarly priced, smaller, quieter silverstone just outperformed it on all angles.

As a side note, the lapping job was considerably better on the Silverstone than the Xigmatek. I will try and smooth it out a bit to see if I improve temps, but I can't change the fan on it, so noise levels will still be bad.

First experience with Xigmatek, not so good. The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro completely shames the Xigmatek that I tried out, and it's only $8 more after you include shipping.
 
For the price I would still say the Xigmatek S1283 or Core-Contact freezer are the best, not that I have either of them. I would also suggest staying away from down-facing coolers they tend to perform poorly under high loads. The only advantage is that they cool components near the CPU socket.
 
...I would also suggest staying away from down-facing coolers they tend to perform poorly under high loads. The only advantage is that they cool components near the CPU socket.

This has been very true in my experience thus far.
 
I have a Xigmatek S1283 coming to me.

Has anyone did a push/pull with a couple of fans on this unit? If so, do you see a signification decrease in temp with it?
 
I have a Xigmatek S1283 coming to me.

Has anyone did a push/pull with a couple of fans on this unit? If so, do you see a signification decrease in temp with it?

You can't mount a second fan without jury-rigging it, so I wouldn't know.
 
running 4.07 on my e8400 with the xiggy 1283, i recommend it! plus it's cheap

How good was the surface from the factory? Did you lap it?

My Xigmatek almost had irregular and uneven grooves on it, and they were only on one side, and not uniform at all. Weird. Doesn't cool worth a piffle.
 
How good was the surface from the factory? Did you lap it?

My Xigmatek almost had irregular and uneven grooves on it, and they were only on one side, and not uniform at all. Weird. Doesn't cool worth a piffle.

The Xigmatek HDT coolers use a different type of base than you're used to. You might want to read up a little if you're interested.
 
The Xigmatek HDT coolers use a different type of base than you're used to. You might want to read up a little if you're interested.

Well it was definitely different. If I thought it looked like they did it on purpose that would be one thing, but this thing looks like it was scratched by an accident. That's why I asked if it was normal.
 
The Xigmatek HDT coolers use a different type of base than you're used to. You might want to read up a little if you're interested.

I know some of them use direct contact where the heat pipes touch the CPU. This is not one of those coolers, if that's the different method to which you're referring.
 
I know some of them use direct contact where the heat pipes touch the CPU. This is not one of those coolers, if that's the different method to which you're referring.

I am referring to the HDT coolers. However, the poster who you asked about the quality of his base finish was also using an HDT-S1283, which is an HDT cooler. The finishes of the cooler you purchased and that of the HDT-S1283 and similar coolers are not really comparable.
 
I am referring to the HDT coolers. However, the poster who you asked about the quality of his base finish was also using an HDT-S1283, which is an HDT cooler. The finishes of the cooler you purchased and that of the HDT-S1283 and similar coolers are not really comparable.

Gotcha.
 
I'd personally recommend the Cooler Master V10

cooler_master_v10.jpg
 
I'd personally recommend the Cooler Master V10

http://www.dvhardware.net/news/cooler_master_v10.jpg

LOL... thats just ridiculous... id be interested to see how those v8, v10 and v12 perform.

my recommendation goes to the Xigmatek for the price, but i like the look better of the more expensive ones like the Vendetta 2 / TRUE. if you dont have a side window then i guess it doesnt matter.

i used to use some zalman stuff before i was clued up about cooling, it wasnt bad.

the thing that makes me laugh the most is when people are spending over 400 bux on those all in one zalman reserator xt watercooling boxes, thats just soooo retarded.
 
Back
Top