Cooler Master V8...defective unit?

UltraCow

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, recently built a new i7 rig and am having some trouble with the HSF. I'm getting idle temps of around the mid 40's (all temps are Celsius), but the load temps are out-of-whack at the 80-and-higher range when running OCCT standard on small format, as well as linpack. From everything I've read, I should be expecting somewhere in the range of the mid to low 60's with this CPU and HSF. Any thoughts? I've found a couple reports over at the Cooler Master forums of people with 920's having the same issue, along with pics of the V8 base showing odd contact patterns (which I also have). I've already reseated everything and reapplied paste 3-4 times and there hasn't been any notable difference.

So far, I'm thinking I have a defective unit but want to make sure I've covered all my bases before calling CM on Monday.

Specs:

i7 920 @ stock
ASUS P6T
Cooler Master Storm Scout case
Two 4860's in CrossFire

Quite good. There's a 120 at the rear, what I think is a 140 up top, and another 120 in the front with a well ventilated opening. I should mention, the air temps inside the case close to the CPU are only a little above ambient, the CPU heatsink hardly gets warm under full load OCCT.

Yep, that's on auto and it averages about 1.25 load at stock.

FYI, grabbed an H50 to try out for some comparison to make sure it's not my settings; so far I'm getting max of 60 C under OCCT small.

yeah , it could have been a defective unit....the h50 temps and your v8 should be kinda close....

I have never played around with a v8 but can you change the fan setup on them?

also that h50 will work best with a push pull config if you dont have one setup already....might help lower temps a few more notches..:)

How would you check your cpu's voltage? I also have a V8 and was wondering if and how you can bump it up, i noticed it says 10.38-13.4v on the box. Thanks!

That voltage range you're looking at could be the fan voltage range if you're reading from the v8 box but if you're looking for your CPU voltage, grab OCCT, hit run on the default stress test, and under CPU vcore in the monitoring section check that number. Under load that's your CPU voltage.

Back