• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cooler Master UCP900 strange issue.

thebeephaha

2[H]4U
Joined
May 27, 2007
Messages
2,054
I have a cooler master ultimate circuit protection 900w that I got about a year ago from beta testing.

On and off it has always made buzzes almost a chirping noise. Now about a week after getting my second 285 there is a constant buzz. High pitched and pulses.

Volts read stable on my multimeter even under load but the noise is really disturbing.

Specs of my rig below.

Ideas? RMA?
 
Last edited:
It's most likely coil whine. Use a toilet paper roll or a rolled-up piece of paper and figure out exactly where the sound is coming from. It could be the second video card, because the power circuitry used by the GTX200 series isn't the greatest. In any case, it isn't harmful, but if it really bothers you, the only thing you can do is RMA whichever component is causing the issue and hope you get one back that doesn't share the same problem.
 
Removed the second card still happens. Constant buzz with an oscillating sound.

Its strange how it is just happening this far into the life of the psu.

Now if I run the machine all day it gets better. But it started literally overnight.

The former buzz/chirp used to happen every few weeks but stopped entirely for the last few months.

I've had psus whine under load before but not like this. Only reason it bothers me is it resembles the noise those old antec smartpower series psus would make before they died.
 
The UCP 900W is a pretty good quality PSU, so I doubt that the noise is caused by failing capacitors. However, if it is producing a loud whine, I recommend that you RMA it anyway.
 
Back
Top