cooler master slient pro gold. AC cable exploded after overclocking

htowntech

n00b
hello,
I was overclocking my pc and everything was going good. I ran 3D Mark 11 and half way through i heard a spark and i saw it near my motherboard. I powered down the system and noticed the AC cable left a burn spot on my wall and the cable ruptured and was very hot. I let my pc power supply cool down and i installed a new AC cable and my system powered on fine. What could cause that to happen?

A cheesy AC cable. Likely had a defect in the braided core.

System specs?

What could cause that to happen?

Were you using a thinner 18 gauge cable meant for a monitor? Although even in that case you had to be pushing it to go high enough to fry the cable..

evga sli 3 motherboard.
i7 950 @ 3192mhz
24 gb patroit sector 7 ram 1600mhz
3 gtx 570 sc in sli (gpu clock 800mhz memory clock 2000mhz)
cooler master slient pro 1200 watt

I installed a thicker quage power cable. I was running the power cable that came with the power supple which is 18ga.

That is strange. A 1200W supply should have never ever had an 18 AWG power cord.

i built this computer nearly a year ago and have never that happen before. Ive added more GPU's, but hopefully i wont have anymore issues with the thicker cable i have now.

Was the original AC cable certified by UL or CSA? What kind of writing was printed along the cable?

I've heard of only 2 other AC cables failing, one by melting, another by exploding, and both of them were not UL or CSA approved.

Back