Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO HSF on Sale

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Cooler Master's Hyper 212 Evo has been the go-to low cost CPU air cooler for quite a while. No it is not the best, but it is far from the most expensive while doing a good job cooling. I wanted to add this cooler to our new HSF/AIO testing platform and went to buy one at Newegg and noticed quie a sale going on. The Hyper 212 Evo is on sale for the next week at $29.99, but has a healthy $10MIR attached to it as well for the next week, bringing the full cost down to $19.99. This model is socket AM4 compatible as well. Just thought I would pass that along. I gots mine. You gots yourn?

zzzcooler.jpg

Unmatched performance for the value, these are the tenants that guided Cooler Master engineers when designing the Hyper 212 EVO. Patented Continuous Direct Contact (CDC) technology ensures that the heat pipes are free of barriers while drawing heat away from the processor. A PWM fan ensures that fan speed can be intelligently controlled to ensure that it only speeds up when more cooling is necessary.

been my go-to for many years.. works great on my 3570k! only real problem with it is ram clearance. had to move my fan to the 'left' side in "pull" only. luckily it seems to perform just fine anyway

does that mean is "ships" with the AM4 bracket in the box, cause I know not that long ago CM had a * for AM4 (with bracket) O.O
supposedly the shipped wraith ones are "good enough" on the 1500/1600/1700 models, for the rest, probably is not a bad out of box performance, I have a standard 212 plus, I really do not trust their numbers for 180w TDP however, many others such as cryorig H7 have lower TDP limits yet cool better go figure :D

nice pricing however for a pretty decent aftermarket HSF, I really do not mind the CM instal bracket, is fairly straightforward, no it does not give incredible amounts of pressure, but it works well enough ^.^

Shame that is for USD pricing, not CAD..cause ~$30 shipped would be a sweet deal, a bit better performance than 212 plus, should be priced a bit more, not ~$20 more IMO. anyways lol, great cooler for $30 or less that is for damn sure ^.^

I am quite fond of the flimsy plastic style brackets over the metal based ones, with the plastic ones you can easily move the fan up or down, the metal ones usually they clip on specific way and if it interferes with ram, well it sux to be you :D

does that mean is "ships" with the AM4 bracket in the box, cause I know not that long ago CM had a * for AM4 (with bracket) O.O
supposedly the shipped wraith ones are "good enough" on the 1500/1600/1700 models, for the rest, probably is not a bad out of box performance, I have a standard 212 plus, I really do not trust their numbers for 180w TDP however, many others such as cryorig H7 have lower TDP limits yet cool better go figure :D

nice pricing however for a pretty decent aftermarket HSF, I really do not mind the CM instal bracket, is fairly straightforward, no it does not give incredible amounts of pressure, but it works well enough ^.^

Shame that is for USD pricing, not CAD..cause ~$30 shipped would be a sweet deal, a bit better performance than 212 plus, should be priced a bit more, not ~$20 more IMO. anyways lol, great cooler for $30 or less that is for damn sure ^.^

I am quite fond of the flimsy plastic style brackets over the metal based ones, with the plastic ones you can easily move the fan up or down, the metal ones usually they clip on specific way and if it interferes with ram, well it sux to be you :D

According to the Cooler Master site you should call and see which Evo units they have in stock. The new units should all have the AM4 bracket, but if they are clearing out their old stock, it may not.

Not a fan of mail in rebates myself. For $35 you can get a Cryorig H7 which seems to be a bit better, for only $5 more. Yeah if you do get the mail in rebate for the 212 it will be a lot more at $35 vs $20, but most of those MIRs are fairly unreliable aren't they? Worth considering.

I will note that the H7 I bought from Cryoirg's Amazon.com store was damaged, and they gave me a run around for weeks. Didn't seem to want to send a replacement when I contacted them, so I finally got in touch with Amazon which refunded me in full after I sent it back. Cryoirg's communication was poor, but they did ship me a free AM4 mounting kit. Too bad their communication was so slow, poor and their product damaged. By the time I got the AM4 mounts I had returned the item and told them I no longer needed the AM4 kit, but I suppose they missed that email. So my experience wasn't great but I'm sure most will get a non-dented or dust filled item.

H7 review at TPU:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/H7_Universal/6.html

This is a great heatsink!

I usually use something a bit higher end for myself but this is my go to for friends and family. Preforms spectacular and makes me think, many times, why I pay a premium for high priced sinks for my modest overclocks I use on my personal systems??. Do they still come with the extra black fan clip for free, so you can add a fan to easily set up a push pull if you want?

Not a fan of mail in rebates myself. For $35 you can get a Cryorig H7 which seems to be a bit better, for only $5 more. Yeah if you do get the mail in rebate for the 212 it will be a lot more at $35 vs $20, but most of those MIRs are fairly unreliable aren't they? Worth considering.

I will note that the H7 I bought from Cryoirg's Amazon.com store was damaged, and they gave me a run around for weeks. Didn't seem to want to send a replacement when I contacted them, so I finally got in touch with Amazon which refunded me in full after I sent it back. Cryoirg's communication was poor, but they did ship me a free AM4 mounting kit. Too bad their communication was so slow, poor and their product damaged. By the time I got the AM4 mounts I had returned the item and told them I no longer needed the AM4 kit, but I suppose they missed that email. So my experience wasn't great but I'm sure most will get a non-dented or dust filled item.

H7 review at TPU:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/H7_Universal/6.html

:shifty:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/09/22/cryorig_h7_cpu_air_cooler_review/

I'm certainly looking forward to beating the hell out of the 212 Evo on our test rig :)

I consider these to be the best coolers on the market dollar for dollar. I had one on my old FX-8150 and it handled that heat monster up to 4.2 GHz!! Considering the amount of heat those things put out, that's saying a lot.

the hyper 212 is a good value.. I have 3x of them.. for xmas I decided to get a Cryorig H5 because i thought it would go w/ my white NZXT case moar better and maybe give a bit more OC headroom..

honestly the temps of the much larger H5 are 2~c better than the hyper212 and it cost $20 (i got mine on sale at fry's years ago for $20) and the H5 cost $50~ ..

the instal kit on the cryorig is probably a bit better but the hyper212 isn't hard to install at all.. and once you make peace with the fact the 212 will twist a bit.. it preforms pretty well.. The H5 /H7 designs are probably both less likely to interfere with ram slots however.

"Unmatched performance for the value, these are the tenants that guided Cooler Master "

"tenants"

*sob*

I got sick of looking at the Alien copper heat pipes sticking out on the 212 so I picked up a Be Quiet Pure looks alot better in my rig.

be-quiet-pure-rock.jpg

For the value tower coolers I'm a big fan of the Deepcool Gammaxx 400. It installs in seconds without taking the MB out. Performance seems in line with any other tower cooler of its size.

If you are going to bother dealing with mounting brackets... just get a Noctua D15 or whatever the other TR4 model is if you need it and be done with heat issues once and for all.

been my go-to for many years.. works great on my 3570k! only real problem with it is ram clearance. had to move my fan to the 'left' side in "pull" only. luckily it seems to perform just fine anyway

Me too on both accounts. I had to do that for my z68/2600k rig so I could use G.Skill tridents but thankfully on the x79 build the ram slots were far away enough not to matter.

The Hyper 212 Evo has gotta have the best cooling/$ ratio out there. I've got two (three?) kicking around.

Now, they're not in USE...thank Noctua for their heatpipe solutions and then NZXT's and Corsair's AIO hardware for the gradual Hyper 212 replacement. $20-35 is hella nicer on the wallet than the $150+ solutions I eventually ended up installing.

My wife's machine has an ancient 212 in it. I must have bought that cooler like 12 years ago...yet it still works and adjusts to fit new builds, too. I moved on to a liquid loop, but if I had to go back to a fan, I'd probably go with a 212 or something similar.

Cooler Master has strange sales often seems like.

Right now both their 120mm and their 240mm Masterliquid Lite are the same price at $49 USD over at Newegg.

On occasion their Hyper 612 is the same price as their Hyper 212.

My 5 1/2 year old primary desktop with an E3-1230 V2 has had one since nearly new, still works a treat. Purchased mainly because of the review here. I don't OC but the stock fan was running a little warm, partly because I have the rather well insulated Corsair case and also because as built I was running a secondhand GTX480. It's since been upgraded with a larger SSD and a 970, and now it's dead silent under all loads AND much cooler. Not to mention less of a hit on my electric bill. If you want better than the packaged HSF but don;t want to break the bank or install some crazy heavyweight monstrosity, this is one of the best.

I have 3 of the 212x series heatsinks. Best heatsink you can buy under $50 IMHO, and they're usually $25 or less with rebates like this.

I did pay $7 to get an AM4 bracket from Coolermaster (ok, so 99 cents plus shipping, but still) but I haven't built my Ryzen box yet. Stupid DDR4 prices suck.

Bought one with my Ryzen build. All that is needed to max Ryzen to any logical level. Why spend more?

Back