Cooler Master GeminII M4 not cooling i3-8350k properly.

Overblod

Limp Gawd
Idle temperature is around 36 C, but even under light load it easily reaches 50C and under sustained load of DVR compression it reaches 65C... I have used good thermal paste and have quiet a bit of experience in PC building so I don't thing is there any substantial room for improvement in the installation dept. I have used Hyper 212 in the past and had good experience with them, thought this was a horizontal version of that, but I guess not... Its a lowish profile HCPT case, so I cant use tower. PC runs 24x7, kinda nervous about using AIO liquid cooling... Toughs? Suggestions? how can I keep it cooler? I have i7-6850k running at 4.2 GHZ and it never exeeds 57C, would like to get similar results with air... possible?

ok couple of things regarding the comparison with the i7 6850K, what cooler are you using with that chip? in what case? and kind of airflow? also I have to clarify that i7 6850K uses soldered lid while the i3 8350k uses craptastic TIM under the lid, so the heat transfer it's way worse on the 8350k than the 6850K, ok now that everything it's cleared out in that department, you have to check few things, the first one check if the motherboard is automatically overclocking your 8350k and applying excesive un-needed voltages (all mobos tend to do this). and then I have to say that everything seems good to me, the Gemini II it's a low profile cooler (and not a very good one), using a low profile fan, all inside an HTPC case which for sure it may not have optimal airflow, all that said I think temps are fine, Tjunction on that 8350K it's 100C and that's where throttling start, so you are a good 35C far of anything to worry..

If you want to decrease your operating temp and if it's physically possible the cheaper option would be to use a better fan.. and the better choice to change to a more adequate low profile cooler as the scythe big shuriken 2, Noctua NH-L12, or even a Silverstone NT-06PRO or Noctua NH-C14 which are in the big leagues of low profile coolers that can outperform standard coolers..

hmm... thanks, lots too look at, think about...exactly what I was looking for!

HTPC is in an old Thermaltake DH101, it has lot of holes and I was able to add 2 120 mm 1200rmp fans, push pull, at opposite end so airflow is not bad. Its a pretty high case so I can definitely add a better fan on the cooler.
i7-6850k is in Antec P280, needless to say, its well ventilated and cooler is Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX, pulling air in. Soldered lid probably explains a lot.
Mobo is ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac, I have not enabled the performance mode, and max freq does not exeed 4ghz, I could try the green mode...

Is the HTPC located in open air, or in a cabinet? What is the ambient air temp.

Its not in cabinet, its out in the open. The issue is with the instant rise in temperature with load, and the cooler not able keep up...

The sudden jump is because of thermal resistance between the die and the case - if you don't want to delid there is nothing you can do about that.
The GeminII M4 is not a good cooler - there are better coolers of that z-height, such as the Scythe Big Shuriken 2. It's ok for stock operation, or for light overclocks with lots of AVX offset - mine had trouble dealing with a 7350K @4.7, and that was only a dual-core processor.

Back