Cooler Master Aquagate 120 $62 worth it?

inscape01

Limp Gawd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103165

So for ~$10 more than a top of the line air cooler is it worth it? I've seen this setup in expensive boutique builds, but I'm thinking it might just be so they can say it's water cooled and not that it's actually a great cooler. I've been trying to price a Danger Den setup (TDX block, D5 pump, stealth GTS) but it comes out to ~$200. I don't think I want to spend that much money. So for $60 would you say the Cooler Master is a lot better than a Freezer 7 Pro or Zalman CNP9500?

All I can comment on is the R-120 since I currently have one, but IMO, it's great for the price. I had a Cooler Master Hyper48 and that was ok, but the R-120 beats it by far. I paid a bill for mine when I got it and I still think it was worth it. It can be damn quiet, or cool a moderatly overclocked cpu without breaking a sweat.

It does have it's limitations though as I have found. I was able to gain 200MHz with it over decent air cooling, but I think I still have more headroom to oc, so I am picking up a Titan Amanda tomorrow (hopefully) to see if I get any better results.

Bottom line: If your looking for a quiet setup, or plan on just a moderate oc, then you will be pleasently suprised.

That's my two cent. Let us know how it turns out. ;)

I say, no. Weak pump, crappy blocks, small rad which can't do anything.. the list goes on and on.

Just pick up like an xp90 and a nice fan and you'll be happy as a clam.

Bbq said:
I say, no. Weak pump, crappy blocks, small rad which can't do anything.. the list goes on and on.

Just pick up like an xp90 and a nice fan and you'll be happy as a clam.

Where are you getting these facts? The majority of reviews are positive and I personally can say that the rad "does do something". Its keeping my AMD64 4000+ OC'ed at 2.86 w/ 1.6v @ 36c Idle/49c load. It's a single 120mm rad in a very small loop, how can you think it doesn't function fairly decent at least? :confused:

I wont say it's better than the xp90 since I haven't owned one, but I will say that the R-120 does exactly what it's intended to, and does it well for the price. Are there better options? Of course, but the R-120 preforms very well and can be extremely quiet while doing it. ;)

i dont think its worth it, you are better off with a high end air cooler, the aquagate 120 only cools well with the fan cranked up unfortunately

Bloodgod42 said:
Where are you getting these facts? The majority of reviews are positive and I personally can say that the rad "does do something". Its keeping my AMD64 4000+ OC'ed at 2.86 w/ 1.6v @ 36c Idle/49c load. It's a single 120mm rad in a very small loop, how can you think it doesn't function fairly decent at least? :confused:

I wont say it's better than the xp90 since I haven't owned one, but I will say that the R-120 does exactly what it's intended to, and does it well for the price. Are there better options? Of course, but the R-120 preforms very well and can be extremely quiet while doing it. ;)

You do know that most reviews involve the reviewer getting the item free of charge, meaning a higher score than if the item was purchased by itself.

I have an XP90 with an antec tri-cool, turned low, and an opteron 146 overclocked to 3 ghz at 1.450w, and it does 31/37. I also won't say that these results are exactly what everyone on earth will get, but you get what you pay for. Go all the way, or go home.

Bbq said:
You do know that most reviews involve the reviewer getting the item free of charge, meaning a higher score than if the item was purchased by itself.

I have an XP90 with an antec tri-cool, turned low, and an opteron 146 overclocked to 3 ghz at 1.450w, and it does 31/37. I also won't say that these results are exactly what everyone on earth will get, but you get what you pay for. Go all the way, or go home.

Nice results with your XP90. And yes, I know reviews can be bias, this is why I read many and then read between the lines. I stand by my own conclusions, the R-120 is NOT a BAD cooler.

Scythe Ninjas can be had for about 30$ shipped. This is half the price of the kit you mentionned. It'll also perform just as good, but quieter.

Downside, you dont have the kickass watercooling setup to brag to your friends about.

Upside, your tech-worthy friends won't get to make fun of you for buying that kit :D.

I had a Scythe Ninja before, I put it on a P4 board and the god damn adhesive they put on the backing plate was lite super glue. I was pissed and stupidly tried to pry it off while damaging some traces on the board. Plus it just felt cheap to be. I bought a AC Freezer 7 but don't care for how it looks, the Zalman 9500 on the other hand looks pretty nice, especially paired to the 900 vga cooler.

The thing with scythe backplates, is that you NEVER take off the adhesive cover. It's a true bitch to get off. I got mine off without killing my board, but it left about half the adhesive goo on the board.

Back