Cooler for a 8800GTX...any suggestions?

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
Morning all,

I'm looking to get a third party gpu cooler for my 8800gtx. Since I've moved my computer into the living room to take advantage of the tv, the noise it generates is becoming increasingly apparent.

Listening to the fans in my system it seems to be the gpu that's throwing out the decibels.I just want to replace the stock fan with a third party solution that cools as well as the stock fan, but does it 'quietly'.

One of the only ones I've found that seems to fit is the Thermaltake Duorb

Anyone any other suggestions?

Cheers.

The DuoOrb is great. It's completely silent.

But the Thermalright HR-03 is the best (while being huge). The funny thing is, I still have one un-opened.

Although the 8800GTX is really old. You should just buy a new card with the money.

Cheers, im still happy with the 8800gtx. It plays everything i want it to at 1920x1080 plus mkv playback is smooth as silk...its just the noise. I'd rather spend £25 on a quieter fan than pay £100 - £200 on top of what i get from selling the card to be able to buy something that i can really see a difference with...unless you can suggest me a card that might be a worthwhile upgrade. :)

Been out of the loop with gpu's for a while so dont really know whats out there...

I did take a look at the Thermalright solution but it seems a bit bulky.

Ok ive just noticed there's an aluminium version of the Duorb available.

Is it just a lighter version of the original or does anyone know if it performs better? Cant find any reviews...

Really, that would be fine.

Your only other option would be to get a 100 Pound HD 5770 and overclock it, matching the 8800 GTX.

It's much quieter, takes far, far less power and is much less hot. But since you already have the 8800 GTX, just get the DuoOrb. It's great.. and has a nice blue LED.

Bulky but effective. The 8800 GTX puts out a huge amount of heat; make sure whatever you get is up to task. The bigger the sink, the quieter the fan can run in this case.

Thanks for the replies gents. Im going for the Aluminium Duorb. Its almost 100g lighter than the full copper version and i can't see performance being massively different.

Its still a great card, even if it is stupidly big, ugly, stubborn, inefficient, loud and a bit of a bully.

Looking at the 5770 I could go for it but i'd rather see how long this sucker lasts. If its still going when Diablo 3 arrives im gonna retire it and get it framed...

Now to sort out the CPU fan.

Get a Thermalright TRUE, Prolimatech Megahalem, Noctua NH-D14 or Corsair H50.

Those are your options.

The Zalman CNPS 9500 im currently using seemed to keep the processor at around 40c idle but now its up at 50c or above all the time. Will reapply the AS5 first and see if that makes a difference. If it doesnt then i'll check out the options you listed. Cheers.

I have an Accelero Xtreme 8800 on my 8800GTX. It's the baddest cooler for that card.

This with this. End of story. Dropped my temps ~20 degrees underneath palm trees.

That would be $75....so I'd agree w/ the point above. Put that money in a new card. They do not last forever, and that is just the way it is.

Now, if you find a nice cooler for $25, that's a different story.

Back