Cooler for 4790K on a Gigabyte Z97X-SOC, that doesn't block pcie or ram. Any suggesti

nigel1200

n00b
m looking for a cooler for a 4970k on a Gigabyte Z97X-SOC.

I've noticed the Noctua NH-D15 but this seems to block the first PCIE port, so that is a no go. Just looking for cooler options that won't block these.

Budget max really £70-£80 but i'm open to suggestions?

I think the Z97X-SOC has about 73m center CPU to side of PCIe socket and 53mm center CPU to side of RAM socket.

What is your CPU clearance and RAM height?

There are many coolers that clear the PCIe but obviously NH-D15 does not.

The problem is most top tier coolers will have front fan over the RAM. This means RAM height plus fan size minus 5mm has to be the same or less than CPU clearance specification for your case.

Cryorig R1 Ultimate and R1 Universal will both clear PCIe, but only R1 Universal will keep fan behind RAM socket.

PH-TC14PE will just clear PCIe .. might need to put insulation on fan clips to be safe.

NH-D14 is still a great cooler, especially the SE2011 with PWM fans.

Silver Arrow IB-E has offset base with 68mm center CPU to side of PCIe socket.
I have this in the Extreme model. The TY-143 2500rpm fans perform and sound the same from idle up to 1300rpm as normal version .. and the addtional 1200rpm is fun when testing extreme overclocks. I would advise using a 3rd TY-143 as rear exhaust to remove the 130cfm of air these fans can move. If not the heated cooler exhaust will be mixing with and heating up case air going to cooler .. and raising the CPU temps.​

be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 will fit.

Archon IB-E X2 is a single tower with 69mm center CPU to PCIe and 53mm center CPU to RAM with fan.

NH-U14S is similar.

TRUE Spirit 140 rev.A is just coming out. Can be had in USA and Germany now and will be here soon. Great cooler only a couple degrees warmer than coolest and half the price is 69mm center CPU to PCIe and 53mm center CPU to RAM.

Macho rev.B is also just showing up and also cools within a couple of degrees of best. 70mm center CPU to PCIe and 52mm center CPU to RAM.

Macho Zero is also just showing up and uses a duct from cooler to exhaust fan / vent to cool and remove heat. Also only a couple degrees warmer and 70mm CPU to PCIe / 26.5mm CPU to RAM. Same cooler as rev.B but exhaust duct instead of fan.

There are more if none of those is your cup of tea. :D

Why not a All-In-One cooler? I got a Cooler Master Seidon 120M for the memory clearance issue, and it is working great.

Why not a All-In-One cooler? I got a Cooler Master Seidon 120M for the memory clearance issue, and it is working great.
Because top air is better, costs less, more dependable, quieter, and if a fan does go bad cooler still works with any fan until replacement fan is found. With AIO the pump is an integral part of system and when it fails (most common problem) CPU has no cooling at all until CLC is replaced .. not cheap to do either.

I think the Z97X-SOC has about 73m center CPU to side of PCIe socket and 53mm center CPU to side of RAM socket...

Thanks for going to so much effort with the post mate!

I tried the Noctua and no good, so i've gone with the Cryorig R1 Universal.

When does the Phanteks PH-TC14S come out? Seems like it would be perfect for this guys setup.

Good question. No news in over a month. I do like the size.
PH-TC14Sw-fanqtred2_zps5f1c7e7e.jpg

Although at 104mm wide and 155mm tall, I have to wonder why it is so tall. It would seem 135-140mm tall would work nicely with a 120mm fan for a total height of 140-150mm and fit more cases. I doubt the loss of 9 fins and 15mm of pipe would make much difference in cooling.
PH-TC14Sqtr_zps14031708.jpg

PH-TC14Ssdeshort_zps2d1ceb8c.jpg

I'm not sure. With a cooler fin pack width of 104mm much of the 140mm fan is either side of fin pack. This makes cooler quite versatile width wise, but the 155mm height is too tall for many ITX and micro ATX cases.

Back