Coolant Mixtures

CoW]8(0)

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 25, 2005
Messages
1,427
Is there a good homebrew mixture of coolant that would prevent corrosion and biological growth? Is there anything else a coolant should also help prevent?

It would be great to hear some of your recipes.
 
what, you mean like a mix of 90% distilled water and 10% valvoline zerex coolant additive?

perhaps something like 85% distilled water and 15% pentosin blue coolant?
 
Well I meant coolant mixtures which do not use ready made coolants. IIRC, some use rubbing alcohol mixtures.

Or would I just be better off using a ready made coolant? Would automotive coolants such as the Valvoline Zerex work perfectly well with my computer WC system?

Also, would I need to completely flush the system of the old coolant (ie antifreeze) before adding any new coolant?
 
well, at first i was thinking that you were asking about coolant-water mixtures vs. ready-made non-conductive coolant additives, and specialty formulas like the aqua computers additive or swiftech hydrx.

however, zerex and distilled water is tried and true. it's high-performance, doesn't mess up plastics like water-wetter, cheap, anti-corrosive, and i think that it is anti-microbial as well.

a little bit of dish soap and distilled water works pretty well, if you're not mixing metals. otherwise, zerex is pretty good stuff.

as for iso alchohol, it's not a good idea if you have luxite in there. it cracks it.
 
I'm considering a non-conductive coolant solution, but the only product I see available is Fluid XP+. Are there other non-conductive solutions available?
 
It's supposed to be alot better than Fluid XP too. I just got a bottle but haven't tried it out yet, only bought it since it came free with me order! :D
 
what color is valvoline zerex coolant? or a better way to ask out be what coolant can I pick up from a local autoparts store that is blue or blueish green to use in my water cooled setup?

thanks
 
I came across a thread of someone stating that pentosin is non conductive. Can anyone verify or confirm?
 
Back
Top