Cool thing with dremel

irrision

Limp Gawd
I don't know if anyone else has noticed/discussed this yet. Today we started getting Dremel tools in at Radioshack and the box the unit comes in has a picture of someone modding a computer case by cutting the word "Dremel" into the side panel. Just thought that was funny as apparently they're well aware of case modding being a big market for their tools. Oh btw they're $49.99 for the dremel multipro 2851-01, carrying case, and accessory kit which looks to contain about 7 reinforced disks, 10 sanding disks, 6 drums, and the usual 5 bits. It's a 2 speed unit which is fine for the less hardcore modders who don't care about infinitely variable speeds.
Picture of the box! (Following link)
http://theshack.textamerica.com/

i thought dremel's were invented for case modding. :eek:

hehehe, looks like they done their reseach.

I just got fired from radio shack about a month ago for being 2 hours late, i was supposed to open but didn;t shot opps...lol. I wish they would of sold dremmels when i was working there so i could of gotten a discount. Our they radio shack brand so you can get your 30% or are they some other brand so you only get 10% off? I got to play with those new robots kits Vex things before i got fired they were pretty fuckin kool.

They're not rs branded so it'd only be 10% anyways. Could probably get them cheaper without disc with only 10% I'd guess.

maybe now that they know its us poor case modders using thier products they'll lower the price of the fiberglass cut-off wheels :)

Yeah, it's cool that they've caught on to where one of their major areas of popularity are. It seems like many companies are olivious to alternative applications that customers put their products to.

][V][AGIC said:
maybe now that they know its us poor case modders using thier products they'll lower the price of the fiberglass cut-off wheels :)

Yeah, I priced them at Westlake Ace Hardware today and they wanted $9.99 for a package of 5!!!! Lowes wanted $6.97 for the same thing. I didn't make it to Home Depot. Needless to say, I bought ZERO dremel accessories today.

Darkeone said:
Yeah, I priced them at Westlake Ace Hardware today and they wanted $9.99 for a package of 5!!!! Lowes wanted $6.97 for the same thing. I didn't make it to Home Depot. Needless to say, I bought ZERO dremel accessories today.
Check Walmart. They have the 5 pack for around $5 at the one around here.

You guys are bloody lucky. Over here in NZ for the FB reinforced cut-off wheels are NZ$29.95(USD$21)!! So shut it, you have it good.EDIT: This was for a 5 pack.

((Dremel Brand...))

EDIT: Dremel have the Twisted Mods guide on their site. -shrug-

Darkeone said:

HD has them for $19.97 for 20 in the easy dispense container. Sold out at the last store I went to.

Widget Supply has decent prices for online retailers.

One great way to save money is to buy bit sets. Use the standard wheels to do most cutting and the reinforced for shaping.

JesDer said:
Widget Supply has decent prices for online retailers.

One great way to save money is to buy bit sets. Use the standard wheels to do most cutting and the reinforced for shaping.

Wouldn't it be the other way around? Seeing as reinforced wheels don't wear down quickly, and the standards would go faster, allowing you to get into tighter spaces....

I'm in the market for a dremel right now and I was wondering if you guys could tell me which one or pack to get, trying to keep it under or around $100

HD has the new Dremel with a bunch of accessories for $70-80 or the more deluxe kit with more bits for about $100. I've also heard good things about the Ryobi, supposedly a little tougher than the Dremel.

I just resorted to using the "break-every-15-seconds" cut-off wheels. I'm just more careful and deal with changing them out all the time. In the long run, it's still cheaper than buying the reinforced ones. When I DO get the reinforced wheels though, I tend to get them from ebay.
I also use an air die-grinder with a 4" cutting wheel on it for strait cuts. Much faster and the wheels last months instead of minutes.

Cheap Cut Off Wheel

These are pretty good. I have cut thick steel with decent success. They wont break but will wear out, but at 50 cents each its hard to beat.

big kit
I have never gotten this kit but it seems like a decent deal.

Do a search for 'rotary' on harborfreight, they have a few other things.

urbsnspices said:
Cheap Cut Off Wheel

These are pretty good. I have cut thick steel with decent success. They wont break but will wear out, but at 50 cents each its hard to beat.

big kit
I have never gotten this kit but it seems like a decent deal.

Do a search for 'rotary' on harborfreight, they have a few other things.

If someone wants to try these they also have them at BigLots for like .99, I got a couple of them and they seem to work ok.

Nuzzles said:
Wouldn't it be the other way around? Seeing as reinforced wheels don't wear down quickly, and the standards would go faster, allowing you to get into tighter spaces....

Nope .. First off, the standard wheels are thinner than the reinforced, this means they are doing less work. They still wear down faster, but they are much cheaper and cost per inch is much less. This is provided you dont break the wheels. By only using them for cutting straight lines, you should rarely shatter a wheel. You then go back and use the reinforced wheels to remove the rest of the metal to make the actual shape you want. For large areas it is best to use a jigsaw/scrollsaw/../.. to do the initial cutting. For small areas I always keep some worn down reinforced wheels laying around or I break out the tungsten carbide bits or a small jeweler's saw.

In the end, there are always many ways to go about cutting something. This is just some of the things I have found make things easier and/or less costly.

what peice would you use to cut acrylic? I'm planning on making a case with sheets of .25" think acrylic, going to need to cut the fan holes and pci/agp / mobo slots. What would you guys reccomend?

Vanilla Coke said:
what peice would you use to cut acrylic? I'm planning on making a case with sheets of .25" think acrylic, going to need to cut the fan holes and pci/agp / mobo slots. What would you guys reccomend?

Dremels are not good for acrylic. If you really have to do it that way .. use a high speed cutter at 5k RPM. You could also get a 3" saw blade for a dremel. I have used them on acrylic rod but never attempted to cut sheet with them.

Best bet would be a jigsaw or scrollsaw with a fine tooth blade.

Fenris_Ulf said:
HD has them for $19.97 for 20 in the easy dispense container. Sold out at the last store I went to.

Just picked me up a pack yesterday. Thanks for the tip!

Back