Cool news from ATI

Gun_Strife said:
sounds cool dont most just put a sticker on it
Every ATI AIB I know of does, except for the crazy sapphire watercooled ones, an HIS's IceQ ones. Shame that Arctic Cooling had to screw up their new cooler....

Tytanium said:
Every ATI AIB I know of does, except for the crazy sapphire watercooled ones, an HIS's IceQ ones. Shame that Arctic Cooling had to screw up their new cooler....

Arctic Cooling did NOT "screw up" their new cooler. It works better than the stock HSF, and is significantly quieter than the stock HSF.

Arctic cooling did an ok job of it..
but there is a reason why they are called mobo burners.....

Nothing I have seen indicates to me that it significantly raises motherboard temperature. If you have adequate airflow going through your case the hot air should still be pushed out through the ventilated PCI backplate before it can really influence temperatures all that much.

When I had an x800xl, the whole idea of getting an aftermarket cooler (also on NV side) was to dump that heat OUTSIDE your case directly from the card itself. It was the smartest thing to do seeing as they could dump it right out the back end of the card and you wouldn't have to worry about added heat load.

Now I have an x1800xt, and I wouldn't give up the stock cooler unless the aftermarket cooler dumped the heat outside the case, and I especially don't want something that'll dump the heat TOWARDS the motherboard.

Despite having 2x120mm case fans in an Antec 3700amb case (which has very good airflow if you have your cables neat), the LAST thing I want is yet another 75+ watts of heat dumped into my case (especially being blown towards the mb). I'm sure most people here would concur with that too.

Daggah said:
Arctic Cooling did NOT "screw up" their new cooler. It works better than the stock HSF, and is significantly quieter than the stock HSF.

Its pretty screwed up to me. It keeps the hot air in the case. Their reason was, that in a BTX case, it would exhaust it out well enough. Too bad very, very, very few people have BTX cases.

It kicks the hot air the wrong direction. All of my air flow goes from the front of the case, to the rear. Yet they push air towards the front. And since I have two X1900's in CF, thats double trouble.

Its better to exhaust the air out of the case, and keep the air flow going in one direction. Thats the bottom line.

Hehe i was hoping they will force saphire to stop replacing that nice chick with ugly alien on their coolers :D

Ok that hot our venting out the case is BULLSHIT!!! marketing gimmick. I have been wanting to say that for a while.

Zalman coolers consistantly outperform any arctic cooling product, and they don't vent any air... their fans have actual ball bearings... and with the vf900 there is basically no reason to buy an arctic cooler for your GPU.

Thermalright also makes a GPU cooler that will spank any arctic cooling product in the ass.

everyone talks about venting... with arctic cooling... venting... if your computer is not already venting enough air where a dinky little fan on the GPU is going to make a difference, then you should put your effort into cooling the case conventionally.

Yashu said:
Ok that hot our venting out the case is BULLSHIT!!! marketing gimmick. I have been wanting to say that for a while.

Zalman coolers consistantly outperform any arctic cooling product, and they don't vent any air... their fans have actual ball bearings... and with the vf900 there is basically no reason to buy an arctic cooler for your GPU.

Thermalright also makes a GPU cooler that will spank any arctic cooling product in the ass.

everyone talks about venting... with arctic cooling... venting... if your computer is not already venting enough air where a dinky little fan on the GPU is going to make a difference, then you should put your effort into cooling the case conventionally.

dunno about you, but I'd much prefer the 80+ watts of heat that the video card generates expelled directly out the case by that "dinky" little fan (last I checked the 70 or 80mm fan the Arctic Cooling uses wasn't considered "dinky" on a video card). Just makes more sense. Not to mention that it CAN lower case temps, therefore proving to be more than a simple marketing "gimmick".

Daggah said:

They didn't screw up the new cooler yet they made it for the btx formfactor when the overwhelming majority of systems on the market are atx. Yup, definately not a screw up. If i want around 180c of hot air being dumped onto my motherboard from my crossfire setup ill be sure to invest in an accelero.

Yashu said:
Ok that hot air venting out the case is BULLSHIT!!! marketing gimmick. I have been wanting to say that for a while.

...blah blah...

And nevertheless, all the Arctic Coolers I have used (four so far), have all managed to lower case and CPU temps by 2 to 3 degrees. DHES works. Even my PWM temps dropped a degree or two.

I recently had a 7900GT KO SC with the stock EVGA cooler. I even more recently upgraded to a HIS X1900XT ICEQ3 (my 7900's have all been POS EVGA rejects). You would think that my temps would have risen across the board due to the extra heat that the X1900XT generates. Guess what? Even though the 7900 consumes over 50W LESS power than my X1900XT (as verified by a Kill-A-Watt meter under 3D stress), my CPU and case runs COOLER with the ICEQ3!

I attribute this effect to the DHES on my ICEQ3. I can quantify my results and they are repeatable. It is not my opinion or based on a misunderstanding of basic heat flow theory. It is fact.

The beauty of physics is that it does not require faith to work.

Chris_B said:
They didn't screw up the new cooler yet they made it for the btx formfactor when the overwhelming majority of systems on the market are atx. Yup, definately not a screw up. If i want around 180c of hot air being dumped onto my motherboard from my crossfire setup ill be sure to invest in an accelero.

When you figure out how to make your ATI card capable of pumping out 180c of hot air you let me know....until then the only thing pumping out air that hot is you.

Emiddle said:
That "nice chick" is Ruby and she's not just a sticker!! :D

The alien, sapphire put a sticker over top of ATI logo, on mine they did a half ass job and you can see about 1cm of ruby at the bottom.

As for the stock cooler it does an excellent job of exspelling hot air, the air flow coming out of my case when it is on %100 is very high and the air is very warm, so i would not want that air just blown into my case, evern if i have good air flow it will contribute to increasing the temperature.

Daggah said:
When you figure out how to make your ATI card capable of pumping out 180c of hot air you let me know....until then the only thing pumping out air that hot is you.

That a fact, last i checked my xtx got as high as 95c under load, ive a crossfire setup the other card gets as high under load as the first card, do a little match kiddo then figure it out.

Even if the acelero can knock 10c\20c off each card thats still around 140c of hot air being dumped directly onto the motherboard.

Dumb design,

/thread

So 90c from one source + 90c from another source = 180c total temperature? That's not how temperatures work. :rolleyes:

Simple FACT of the matter is that my video card runs cooler and more quietly with an Accelero X2. You can use whatever theory you want to use regarding hot air being blown onto the motherboard...the actual reality of the situation is that I have not experienced a single stability issue due to any supposed increased motherboard temperature.

Oh, and posts dripping with sarcasm will only be returned in kind...you can play your little nerd pissing contest game all you want.

phive0:

The arctic coolers all will probably work better then stock.

Honestly I wouldn't mind them at all if they used a fan with a ball bearing, and a beefier heatsink. Mostly you have a smallish heatsink with a wind tunnel over it.

They all remind me of the stock cooler of the 6800ultra, except blowing air out the back.

Just because you havn't had any stability issues with one card doesn't mean that its not possible to have stability issues with 2 cards pumping out thgat kind of heat. The fact that they put that kind of heat out would obviously raise temperatures inside the case and that could lead to instability. Dunno about you but i for one am not comfortable with the fact that with an accelero if i play a demanding game around 80c or so of hot air is being blasted onto a specific spot on the motherboard and thats only from one card.

Maybe if the HIS cooler for the x1900's had been released it would have been a better option, but id prefer to have something ducting the air out the back of the case and not recycling it inside the case.

fallguy said:
Its pretty screwed up to me. It keeps the hot air in the case. Their reason was, that in a BTX case, it would exhaust it out well enough. Too bad very, very, very few people have BTX cases.

It kicks the hot air the wrong direction. All of my air flow goes from the front of the case, to the rear. Yet they push air towards the front. And since I have two X1900's in CF, thats double trouble.

Its better to exhaust the air out of the case, and keep the air flow going in one direction. Thats the bottom line.
Cannot agree more. ;)

Yashu said:
Honestly I wouldn't mind them at all if they used a fan with a ball bearing, and a beefier heatsink. Mostly you have a smallish heatsink with a wind tunnel over it.

I still don't follow some of your ideas concerning Arctic Cooling. I have used Zalman's products in the past and they have top-notch quality. As such, don't misinterpret this post as an attack on Zalman. I would proudly use Zalman again in the future. I am merely comparing the Arctic Cooling and Zalman products and not understanding your comments in this thread.

For example, below is a comparison of an Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 Rev 3 and the Zalman VF900:

Arctic Cooling NV5 Rev3
Fan: 72 mm
Overall Dimensions: 218.5 x 100 x 31 mm
Rated Fan Speed: 2000 RPM
Bearing: ARCTIC Ceramic Bearing
Noise Level: 0.9 Sone
Weight: 428 g
Warranty: 6 Years

Zalman VF900
Fan: 80 x 15mm
Overall Dimensions: 96 x 96 x 30 mm
Rated Fan Speed: 1,350 to 2,400 RPM
Bearing: 2 Ball
Noise Level: 18.5 to 25.0dB
Weight: 185g
Warranty: Unknown

Notice the size disparity between the two. The Arctic Cooling product is significantly larger and heavier than the VF900. How do you get "Mostly you have a smallish heatsink" from that? The VF900 is the "smallish heatsink" and is less "beefier" compared to the NV5. Don't say that the weight is due to the plastic shroud. There is more metal mass in an NV5 than in a VF900.

There is not much difference in the fan size either (80mm vs. 72mm), but the VF900 has an edge there. I wouldn't consider a 8mm difference to qualify the AC's fan as "dinky".

In regards to the lack of a ball bearing fan on the AC products, did you notice that AC has a 6 year warranty on their fans? Does anyone else warranty their fans for that long, ball bearings or otherwise? Have you ever heard of an AC fan failing? I'll bet that the AC fan outlives the Zalman fan on average.

And finally, the following is a installation note for the VF900 from Zalman's (www.zalmanusa.com) website:

"Note 3. The use of an exhaust fan positioned on the rear side of the case is recommended for enhancement of product performance."

Even Zalman acknowledges that exhausting heat from your case is a good idea.

Back