Cool Invention of the Day

neat idea, however I'd be curious how one would attach it to give the table any stability with that leg.

This is one of them inventions that is so obvious that you wonder one of two things, Haven't I seen that yet? or Why wasn't this thought of and done before?

Why wasn't this thought of and done before?

Because........ when you place a table against a wall, you render many outlets useless. If you install it on a corner of the table that is not against a wall, the wires can stick out even further and cause a hazard, its likely not very strong, or very expensive due to the materials needed to make it strong and the fact that there is no "table leg standard" requiring this device to be adjustable, which also reduces rigidity and increases cost.

Because........ when you place a table against a wall, you render many outlets useless. If you install it on a corner of the table that is not against a wall, the wires can stick out even further and cause a hazard, its likely not very strong, or very expensive due to the materials needed to make it strong and the fact that there is no "table leg standard" requiring this device to be adjustable, which also reduces rigidity and increases cost.

This post is both OUCH and Right on! :D

If the direction of the legs can be changed this could be a good thing. On the danger side of things, I don't see how power strips with open outlets is any safer.

I was thinking that this should be built into the table. Not something that can be purchased separately. I've seen little carts with power strips built-in. Why not tables? The outlets would definitely have to be on the the two opposite sides of the ones in the picture though.

Why the leg? Why not into the table back assuming the material is thick enough. Why not into the table top near the edge of the table with a spill proof surface. Why not under the table surface? It hasn’t been done before because people never used to think of tables and electronics as a combination, nowadays just about every surface houses some type of electronic, demand = innovation = supply.. Really if you built the table around an electrical design you could have the electrical outlet on the floor and the table legs just plug right into the floor, eliminating any cables/tripping hazards plus the table would be allot hard to move, pros and cons to that last bit…

Why the leg? Why not into the table back assuming the material is thick enough. Why not into the table top near the edge of the table with a spill proof surface. Why not under the table surface? It hasn’t been done before because people never used to think of tables and electronics as a combination, nowadays just about every surface houses some type of electronic, demand = innovation = supply.. Really if you built the table around an electrical design you could have the electrical outlet on the floor and the table legs just plug right into the floor, eliminating any cables/tripping hazards plus the table would be allot hard to move, pros and cons to that last bit…

Many workbenches have the option for just that. or you can get the long powerstrips from server racks and incorporate it in to your DIY workbench.

Many workbenches have the option for just that. or you can get the long powerstrips from server racks and incorporate it in to your DIY workbench.

Yes I know but they arent talking about a workbench but a consumer table, I dont prentend to think my comment was anything new.. My workare at home was free and works just fine..

My fish tank stand has a custom rack mount power strip bolted between two legs. I don't have pics, but it only required cutting a slight bit off the ears of the powerstrip . Outlets and cords exit under the table.

This is one of them inventions that is so obvious that you wonder one of two things, Haven't I seen that yet? or Why wasn't this thought of and done before?

it has, but long enough ago to date me. I don't think it caught on for the reasons stated.

Back