• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cool case needed for 8 hard drives

Joined
Dec 5, 2003
Messages
517
I need a case with good airflow to cool 8 hard drives for a soho file server. Any recommendations? Furthermore what about a power supply to run these, I was think at least 420, that sound about right? Thanks everyone for your comments!
 
CM stacker or aerocool masstige if you dont feel lik spending too much ;)
 
civic00typer said:
Does the CM stacker have good cooling, I didn't see a place for any front mounted fans???
yes it has very good cooling
 
civic00typer said:
Does the CM stacker have good cooling, I didn't see a place for any front mounted fans???

The entire front of the stacker is all filtered grills with mounting spots for 120mm fans :). The blanking plates are just metal grates with air filters behind them.

With the stacker, you mount hdds in cages which hold 4 hdds and take up 3 5 1/2" bays. Theres 12 front bays so without modding your case you can hold 3 (cause you need cd drives etc which takes up the other 3). Each of the cages comes with a 120mm fan so you can get 3 120mm fans giving you mad front air-flow whilst being able to hold 12 hdds.

After that, theres the side panel which helps cool it down(has holes/filter), a 120mm at the back (2 120mms at back with new version) plus an 80 at the top and a weird blower fan you can buy which mounts next to the motherboard and blows air across it.

Basically, the stacker is the best case for cooling/holding lots of crap you can buy. V2000 is nice and'll prob hold more hdds/cd drives at once but its really expensive and cooling/cabling can be a bit...off. Not to mention the stacker supports having the mobo either flipped or normal way up, supports BTX, 2 power supplies (includes clip to run second without mobo). List just goes on and on.

My vote is stacker cause decked out it'd have 5 120mm fans, 1 blower fan and 4 80mm fans :p
 
CM Stacker it is... hoping to finish this project in December, I am going to have the system up and running by the end of November, but then I need to purchase the hard drives for it. Do you know if I can get any more adaptors for the CM stacker, the 5.25-3.5??
 
Yeah I just bought a CM Stacker and ordered 2 extra drive cages for a file server I am putting together.
Do a search for STB-3T4-E1
I got mine at xoxide.com

 
Definitely the CM stacker...either the 810 or 830 (new..not yet released). If you already got one, great! Im planning on getting one for my lot of HDD's, as a gaming rig and to house WC too.
 
if 8 is the max, Chenbro SR107 wouldn't be a bad choice either.


Rackmountable too, if you're interested.
 
Kugar said:
Yeah I just bought a CM Stacker and ordered 2 extra drive cages for a file server I am putting together.
Do a search for STB-3T4-E1
I got mine at xoxide.com

sweet sounds good
 
Back
Top