Cool bay devices...

motithejrt

Limp Gawd
Instead of putting a plain ole bezel, I am thinking of ridding myself of an optical drive but I want something cool to put in its place.

I DON'T want a fan controller, I already have one. I also don't want an lcd display because everything I want displayed is displayed by my fan controller. I don't want a cigarette lighter or speakers -- I don't smoke and I have speakers I like hooked up. Also, I already have front usb, firewire, and sound. I don't have a need for any card readers.

I've looked everywhere. Any ideas?

mod it.

Heres what i'm thinkin, you kknow thoes halloween candy bowls that the hand moves down when you reach in it. Well find one on sale now since halloween is over, take it apart, mod you open bays into a door. Mount the hand inside the door and have it activated when you press either the power button or the cd eject button so you scar the crap outta people.

just an idea

CrimandEvil said:
Mod something, use your head. :rolleyes:
Thanks, genius, thats why I said:

motithejrt said:
I've looked everywhere. Any ideas?
rolleyes.gif

:rolleyes: Fine, how about a perfume dispenser? I'm sure you could make use of that. ;)

Cut up some bay covers and put mesh in them for extra cooling. Why mod if you can't think of something yourself?

yeah but it only controlls one fan, and look cool, unlike any other fan controller.

do you have a cell phone? you could mod something to hold it inside of your case, or the cigarette lighter can be used to charge your phone too..

you could just mod something that you slide your cell phone in, and connects to your charger. Just an idea, clear up some desk space. and you'd always know where your charger is :)

Thanks for the suggestions... even thoug the fan controller is nice to look at, it would just be superflous. I don't particularly need extra cooling since I have 6 fans, besides, its just another entry point for dust.

You know, I could do the simple thing and just stick a bay cover in there, but my case came with this stupid "shutter" that moves up and down which I removed so I don't have any bay covers that would match my case.

Any other, ahem, constructive ideas? I mean, I have ideas: light control, hdd cooler, etc. I just wanted to see if you guys had some ideas I couldn't come up with... geez.
wink.gif

it's all about the hot dedicaed hdd controller...
like the cooldrive 3. It's an oldie by geeks standards, but it's a goodie. easy to hcangeh t filders, keeps things cool and looks good. nice and shiny.

i once saw a guy who modded an optical cd-rom drive.
he just used the part of the drive that's motorised, and "connected" a cd-rw-spindle to it.. so he could store cdr's inside of his case, and by the push of the button, they were drivin outside...
hope you get the idea ;)

cya Falli

i know that this may have been mentioned before..but what about having one of those modded PS2 color LCD screens on rails inside the computer..so at a lan party or something you dont even need a screen if thats a server..just pull out the lcd and fold it down to set up the game..

i knwo i saw that somewhere on this forum

How about a Little Drawer to hold Blank CD's In??
Or try putting in an LED text Scroller in there to scroll your name, or Specs?!?

Im new to this can you tell?!?! lol :confused:

FallenOne said:
i once saw a guy who modded an optical cd-rom drive.
he just used the part of the drive that's motorised, and "connected" a cd-rw-spindle to it.. so he could store cdr's inside of his case, and by the push of the button, they were drivin outside...
hope you get the idea ;)

cya Falli
This idea is actually a good one IMHO. If I didn't have to have my last bay left open intentionally that's what I would do for one reason: Ghost Image DVDs.

You could keep highly used CDs in it or discs that you want to keep handy. It's also nice for say you're playing a game that requires the disc. You're not playing the game ATM and you need to put another disc in but the game disc is in your drive. You could put the game disc in your modded holder while you install the other program (thus greatly reducing the chances of the game disc from becoming misplaced or scratched) and put the game disc back when you're done.

I ilke the cutting idea and lighting it up. If you already have too many lights, yu could do a switch board for your lights. If you want more airflow, you can mod smaller fans into one drivebay. If you really wanted to go the budget route, you could sticker it up. Maybe the better question is, do you want functionality or beautification? BTW, I really like the drink holder, whoever posted that.

Back