Cool and Quitet

peltman78

Limp Gawd
Is there any trick to get Cool & Quiet to work on an AMD processor? My processor is currently overclocked to 270x9 or 2430mhz. Now reading around I thought that Cool & Quiet would still work when overclocking. But when I enable it in the bios my processor runs at 1350mhz in windows. I tried a run of 3dmark 2001 with Cool & Quiet enabled and got 13000 but with it disabled I get 24000 which clearly means my processor is not clocking itself back up. Is there any driver that needs to be installed in windows to get this to work? (Note: Cool & Quiet was disabled when windows was installed.)

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/Cool_N_Quiet_Installation_Guide3.pdf

You will need:
1) Athlon 64 Processor
2) Motherboard that supports Cool 'n' Quiet
3) Processor Driver / C'n'Q software (page 7 from the PDF tells you where to get it from)
4) HSF capable of speed control

Edit: Direct link for WinXP http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/amdcpu.exe
Description: AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2.2 - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Athlon 64 processor on Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2003 SP1

My Thermalright XP-120 panaflo fan is connected to a 4-pin molex on the power supply, the speed isn't regulated by anything but Cool n' Quiet still works in downclocking my cpu when I don't need it.

Can anyone recommend some...

2) Motherboard that supports Cool 'n' Quiet
4) HSF capable of speed control

all hsfs are thermally controlled when plugged into the 3 port motherboard port (if the board supports speed control)

Sorry to invade this thread but i have a Cool n' Quiet question too. Consider that i am a noob at overclocking.

I got my 3500+ newcastle to 2.3Ghz with Cool and Quiet on, is C N' Q hindering me to get more out of the chip? Or is the Newcastle not that great of an overclocker? Or do i need to raise the voltage?

I am stable at 2.28 and 2.29 but not at 2.3 ... cooled by stock fan.

Thanks

Back