Cooked My 6800 GT

fiberoptik

Limp Gawd
Went to install the NvSilencer 5 the other night.. Got it all together and noticed my temps where way out of wack. Reinstalled using AC5 and temps where still high, anyway during the second install a small bit of metal blew out of the Silencer and bridged a connection on the a55 end of the card. PC rebooted 4 of 5 times which was followed by the sound of electricty arching through the air and a dull yellow color emanating from my case window. Hit the psu switch and popped open the side and was met with this. [H] OWNED
Dead68.JPG

dude....That must suck ass...o.o; I know if it happened to me...I wouldv'e been crying

- Fred

anyway during the second install a small bit of metal blew out of the Silencer and bridged a connection on the a55 end of the card.

Metal? like left overs from the machining of the heatsink?? Thats weird. I think Id be calling Arctic Cooling. Or at least email them.

Can you solder a new whatever that is to the card?? If you can identify the part.

man oh man thats painful even to look at... sigh.. another card in Card Heaven. sigh... :(

Wow, that definitely sucks man. If that had happened to me I would have broke down crying for sure. :( Too expensive to go around f*cking up like that.

Rustedimpala said:
Metal? like left overs from the machining of the heatsink?? Thats weird. I think Id be calling Arctic Cooling. Or at least email them.

Can you solder a new whatever that is to the card?? If you can identify the part.

Yea, thier was an aluminum metal sliver that most likley was left over from machining or it may have been a thread that sheared off the mounting posts. The latter is quite common and I usaully air blast my cards before setting them in.

As far as soldering on a new chip... The heat from that failure melted a hole about the size of a pea under the board so I doubt thats an options.. Im sure it detroyed the surrounding leads. Its amazing how much juice passes through those chips.

damm homie .. get in touch with AC and see what they can do for you ...

They're probably gonna say .. you can't prove it ... so we won't do anything about it

Back