Convince me to go from XPHome to XPPro

scatpack

Limp Gawd
This is for my eMachines A64 laptop.

Currently it has the default XP Home install. What real benefits would i get by going to the XP Pro (which I own for my desktop system)?

Is there anything thats perticular to XP Pro that deals with laptops?

Thanks for your opinion!

Unless you've got a dual processor laptop, you're not going to get much out of the update.

...there's one other difference that's escaping me at the moment. Anyone?

unless you plan on joining a domain or need SMP support Home should suit you fine ...

Pro has some extra admin tools that you may/may not need. Like someone posted before, joining a domain, and the extra administrative tools things in there.

Since I dont even know what Joining a domain is.. i guess I dont need it!

...what is it?

Simply, a doman is something where all the users log into one central computer (or a few). Its just logging on remotely as opposed to your local computer. Theres more too it, but I think thats the basic idea.

XP Home does not have the disk management partioning tools that XP Pro has. I had to use partition magic to create a new primary partition for WinXP 64 beta.

There are a few other more important differences between XP Pro (XPP) and Home (XPH).

First and foremost, SECURITY is much better on XPP. You can encrypt your files on XPP and not on XPH!!! This is a huge difference.

If you want to use MUI, Multi User Interface, i.e. different languages for the OS and ALL help, interface, code pages, etc. XPP is theONLY way to go.

Another big plus in my business (Network Engineer) is that I can RDP (remote desktop) into my personal PC. This can be a security issue but it sure is nice having my laptop and home PC act as a Terminal Services device so I can remotely work at my desktop. This also allows me to use my PDA to control my desktop or lappy as well.

Another big plus is you can set more control of securing files other than just your "My Documents" folder.

As previously mentioned XPP is the way to go in a corp. environment but I use it for everything at home. Just think, if you running XPH, I can come up to your PC and view everything you have on it without even firing up Windows! All your info can be mine without even slowing me down if I have access to your PC. If you have XPP, you can at least encrypt your files.

Of course there are more Admin tools on XPP because it has a few more features but they are pretty similar in most respects.

On a side note, the disk tools in XPP suck compared to Partition Magic. Buy PM if you really need to work with partitions. It will save you time, money and GRIEF!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Too many lappys to list. but some ones currently are eMachines 6805 64 bit a$$ kickin' CPU, 2 Stinkpads, Cheap Averatec (for engine mgmt. system on my race car), Gateway, Dell 600m and the list goes on.

Originally posted by wavshrdr
XPP is the way to go in a corp. environment
hence the "professional" :D
but there are ways to encrypt files that doesnt require a $100 upgrade, pgp comes to mind. same with remote administration. openssh is free too.

and for disk partitioning, i think fdisk is great

The difference is with XPP encryption there is almost no intervention needed and it is not a second step in the file saving procees like most 3rd party encryption tools.

As for Fdisk, it is so limited in what it can do compared to Partition Magic as to almost be laughable. Fdisk is useful if you want BASIC partition management tools like when first setting up an OS. PM allows you to migrate and resize partitions almost at will.

Suppose my C: drive is a little smaller than I want but I have room on my D: drive, I can easily resize both partitions without destroying them first. That is such a timesaver you can't believe AND you can easily set up partitions for other OS's.

i believe it comes down to if you don't know the difference, there's no reason for pro (i like to throw that one around though i'm sure i got it from someone else on the forums)

Back