Converting *MPG to MKV*

Inzane Cat

n00b
Greetings!

I used to convert MKV to VOB/MPG files due to the limited compatibility with the PS3. Before I had to hardcode subs into the video stream to be able to view subtitles on the PS3. (This is a time consuming process on an average CPU)

Currently I use PS3 media server to stream high definition content. With PS3 media server I'm able to playback MKV files with subtitles enabled. Now I want to convert some MPG video files to MKV so I don't have to hardcode subs.

Long story short, I'm looking for an application that is able to convert MPG video files to MKV.

Any help is very much appreciated!

By MPG to MKV, do you mean switch containers? Or do you mean you want to encode MPEG(-1/-2) video then add that encoded video stream to an MKV? If neither.. sounds like you're trying to do the impossible.

It's just an issue with PS3 media server. It doesn't allow external subs to be played with MPG container.

@ProfessorKaos64

Thanks! Gonna try it out.

By MPG to MKV, do you mean switch containers? Or do you mean you want to encode MPEG(-1/-2) video then add that encoded video stream to an MKV? If neither.. sounds like you're trying to do the impossible.

This.. MPG and MKV are containers.. all you need to do is remux.. no re encode should be involved.

Ah okay. Do you know what application I can use to switch container from MPG to MKV. Usually I use MKV2VOB, but that only works one way. Sorry if I'm being ignorant, I don't have much experience with this.

I am not sure what can demux MPGs. Maybe TsMuxer. But for remuxing into MKV.. Use MKVMerge

Back