Converting from optical out to analog

bleed3r

Limp Gawd
I'd like to use my optical out on my SN45G rather than the analog outs which don't sound too great that much.

The optical out is supposed to be really quality, so I'm wondering if there is any converter that would be cheaper than a good sound card that would convert the optical line to analog for headphones or output to an amp etc.

I could do this ghettoly and get an optical cable w a mini adapter and have it go into my mindisc sitting on record standby w headphones plugged into them for listening, but I'd rather get something else :rolleyes:

Perhaps. I would think that a ART DI/o DAC would have a better DAC stage. Essentially, that's all that you're paying for. With a reciever, there's much more functionality that vies for a share of your purchase price. Things like a tuner, amplifier and video switching cost money. If he want's a DAC, he should buy a DAC, and not necessarily a receiver.

Perhpas I'm assuming too much. The basic funtion that you are talking about is called handled by a stage called a DAC. DAC stands for digital to analog converter. I really don't know about

He mentions output to an amp in the original post, so I figured that for similar money he could save the trouble. In addition, the receiver will decode AC3, which could be nice for movie watching and the like.

It looks like the ART DI/O is in about the same price range as a receiver, smaller form factor, and probably better DAC.

It appears to only have coaxial digital input, no toslink. With a little surgery to your computer, you could probably get the electrical version out, or you could buy an additional converter to change the optical to electrical.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...rec/s=computer/search/detail/base_pid/180580/

I'm not saying what you should do, just presenting options and reasons.

The optical out is supposed to be really quality, so I'm wondering if there is any converter that would be cheaper than a good sound card that would convert the optical line to analog for headphones or output to an amp etc.

Not gonna happen.
Buy a sound card.

BTW.... the best price for a ART DIO is 129$ at Zsounds dot com
But it doesn't end there.
The DIO uses phono jacks for the IO's so you either need to mod it or use adapters. The other problem is it outputs close to 7 volts which tends to overdrive the inputs on most of the amps on the market.........so.... you need a attenuator cable or another mod.
By the time you're done modding it you are looking at a 200$ investment.

Back