Converting file server into router, little help (Windows)

tgs

Weaksauce
2.8Ghz dual core Athlon X2 7850
8Gb of ram
1x onboard 1Gbps NIC
4x 1Gbps connections via PCIe card
Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64

Before I begin:
Yes, I'm aware that you hate Windows for this role. I have read every single bashing post spitting on Windows being used as the base OS for a router. I get it. No need to restate your point. You love linux, awesome. And in any other situation, I would certainly consider it, but it does not meet my needs in this situation.

Old role:
VMWare just for testing some programs used for my business. Nothing special really.
File server. 2x 2Tb drives in Raid 1 shared to the house.
Torrent downloader (no point in running my main machine all night when the file server is already going to be on, so I just let it handle that task).

New role:
All of the above, plus router.

Reasoning:
Tomato doesn't support any gigabit routers AFAIK, DDWRT is shit for QoS (it's on my current WNDR3700), and I want better internal control of computers on the network and just how exactly they can communicate with each other. I don't want to run yet another device if I can have this box handle the routing (ie. please don't suggest a small firewall box + switch, I could've done that if I wanted to).

So now here's where I am at... I have this machine, I want to keep Windows on it so it can continue to function as file server internally/VMWare/torrent downloader, and I want it to pick up the role of router for the house (preferably working just like a typical router where the 4x connections on the PCIe card feed everyone into the same internal LAN). Suggestions on how to best go about doing this properly?

well since ur running server 08, why not fireup a vm machine with ipcop or smoothwall and let it do the routing inside a vm?

or let the router do the nat stuff and your server do the dhcp, end of the day why?

With 2x NICs...Windows Server ICS is easy to setup. (can google tons of hand holding guides if the setup wizard baffles)

WAN NIC (Can rename "Internet" in network connections list) Right click it, properties, advanced..enable internet connection sharing
LAN NIC

Here's a guick youboob video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VljlnOa1-Q

Get good backups.....cuz....

...since you'll have Windows sitting directly on a public IP...you'll be learning how to format/reinstall on a regular basis.

With 2x NICs...Windows Server ICS is easy to setup. (can google tons of hand holding guides if the setup wizard baffles)

WAN NIC (Can rename "Internet" in network connections list) Right click it, properties, advanced..enable internet connection sharing
LAN NIC

Here's a guick youboob video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VljlnOa1-Q

Get good backups.....cuz....

...since you'll have Windows sitting directly on a public IP...you'll be learning how to format/reinstall on a regular basis.

oh so true!

Back