Converting a T20 into a workstation... good idea?

iroc409

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Dell T20 with a E3-1225v3 in it I'd like to convert from a server use to a workstation. I've been doing a lot of photography and want to try out running the FOSS software out there, and for 90% of my use I can use a Linux desktop. I'm not looking to convert from Windows as there is still stuff I use on Windows, and I think dual-booting and such will be annoying.

Since the T20 should be 4K-video capable and I believe has dual display port outputs. My monitors are duam 32" HP Omen, so not 4K but high-res. I figure put a SSD in it and a pile of non-ECC RAM and install Linux and away I go. I want to build/buy a new desktop at some point so my thought is to move the i7-4790k from my current Windows desktop into the T20 (it appears this is doable).

Is there anything I should consider this route? Sell the whole lot and build/buy new systems instead? I figure the Intel graphics will be least problematic in Linux, but I would consider selling all of it and building two new desktops--but I want to test everything first before I start moving hardware around.

Back