Converting a midtower to rackmount.

hardwarephreak

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 13, 2002
Messages
1,283
I have a couple cases that would fit no problem in a rack with the addition of some metal support brackets to the case.

I don't forsee any issues, but I was wondering if anyone had attempted/done this before, and if they had some problems happen that they didn't expect.
 
IMO

I would get some wood and maybe some fasteners and make a couple of shelves to fit inside your rack so that you don't have to make such a permanant change to the cases and it would probably be more simple and more useful in the long run.
 
Well I already have a couple of shelves in my rack which would do, but I am dead set on the idea of racking all of my equipment. The cheapest rackmount (4u) that I could find was at newegg for around 100 bones shipped. But I can get a std midtower with a power supply for around $50, buy some cheap metal from lowes, and rivet it to the front of the case. Just wondering if there any downsides to this approach. I appreciate the response though.
 
Please forgive me, my perception is a bit out of whack given that I work for a small mfg company that makes nothing but custom rackmount gear. When thinking about problems you may run into I had not shifted from "work" mode to "home-grown" mode.

I've been home for awhile now and I say go for it! Just pick out a cheap case that is square (obviously), make sure your cd/dvd drive can handle vertical insertion and most importantly pick out materials and fasteners which can handle the weight requirements.

Best of luck!;)
 
most mid tower cases ive worked with will fit perfectly in a rack when horizontal... if you got a 4 post or a cabinet definately try to get some heavy-duty shelf rails or something so you can slide them in and out :)

and dont forget handles!
 
Back
Top