Converting 2 Pin fan power cables to 3 pin?

ShockTech

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I bought a bunch of those delta fans that were on sale in the hot section.

Anyways, I just got them, and I noticed they have a 2 pin power connection on them. Im fairly sure that my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo doesnt have any 2 pin connections, only 3 pins.

Or can I make these work with a 4 pin molex?

How can I make these work or where can I get an adapter for them?

Thanks!

Are they bare two wires or are they into molex? Just use a molex, as the 3rd pin is RPM monitoring which these dont seem to have. It's not worth it to run fans off your mobo anyway, as they draw power from it. Just wire those two into molex's and hook them up. The red wire goes on the yellow in the molex (12v) and the black goes on the black wire (ground). I simple cut through casing, wrap the fan wire around the molex wire, then electric tape it to seal it. Have fun :cool:

This is the fan.

G14959B.jpg

You can probaby find a adapter for the fan if you want to pay for them online

If you want a cheap solution you should do what Mr. K6 said. Cut off the delta power connector splice the wire. Then attach the red bare wire to a 12v source any yellow wire from the psu. Then the black bare wire to any black cable, or the case itself for ground. Tape any exposed wire with electrical tape to ensure your computer's safety.

If you want to run the fans off the motherboard fan connector, you can use this 3 pin connector

22-01-3037.jpg

picture taken from digikey. and change the 2 pin housing to 3 pin while leaving the rpm wire empty. Just use a pin and push in the little prong that is on the original 2 pin housing and pull the wire out.

if you want to use the 4pin molex housing. then get some from your local electronic store and cut and recrimp the pin on the wire from the fan.

The positive lead goes in the middle, and if you're looking at the connecter with the little prongs facing you, the ground wire goes on the left hole.

Back