Converting 120 AIO to 240

• Thread starter Deleted member 278999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 278999

Hey all,

I've got an EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid. I was thinking about converting it from the stock 120 AIO unit to a 140 or 240 unit.

Does anyone have any idea what would be involved in doing this? Looking at it, the tubes would need to come off of the existing unit and moved onto a new radiator. I believe I saw somewhere that the AIO's are pressurized. Perhaps this depends on the unit.

Do any of you have any ideas on how to get such a project started?

Thanks,

- Kwaz

AIOs are not pressurized, they are simply sealed.

I would not do it. You would completely defeat the purpose of using an AIO. You will need additional coolant and at minimum a way to bleed the air out, if not a reservoir. The best thing to do would be to get a 240 AIO that has a bracket that can be used to mount to a GPU. The NZXT G10 will work with a wide variety of AIOs.

AIOs are not pressurized, they are simply sealed.

I would not do it. You would completely defeat the purpose of using an AIO. You will need additional coolant and at minimum a way to bleed the air out, if not a reservoir. The best thing to do would be to get a 240 AIO that has a bracket that can be used to mount to a GPU. The NZXT G10 will work with a wide variety of AIOs.

In this instance since it's an EVGA Hybrid AIO cooler it creates some complications with those kits :(

The EVGA Hybrid AIO has an extended base. I think swapping out he base plate would be the only thing that'd work if it even matched up to the new AIO. Where as if I kept the whole block / head / pump part and just swapped the radiator I wouldn't have an compatibility issues.

400_HY_H980_B1_XL_4.jpg

I'm reading this as you want to replace just the rad, right?
its totally doable. you just have to get a rad that has a fill port or more than two ports, 1/4" barbs and new 1/4" tubing. if you don't have a rad with a third port it is still doable just tricky because you have fill the pump and the rad without getting a ton of air in the system. heres a 240mm rad with a built in res that would make it much easier: Swiftech MCR220 2 x 120mm Radiator w/ Reservoir get two of the silver 1/4" barbs, coolant or additive if using distilled water and a couple feet of 1/4'ID tube too! like this stuff: Tygon A-60-G Norprene 1/4" ID
cut the old hose off, attach new hose and rad. fill rad, power it up to fill the pump and top it up as it bleeds out the air. just angle the pump so the barbs are upright and keep the rad up higher. no prob!

I refurbed a h60 and to refill it I connected tubes to the rad and filled it. kinda shook it around and tilted and angled it to get as much air out as possible. then I forced fluid threw the pump barbs while it was tipped on edge so the barbs were as high as possible to let out as much air as possible. then I carefully reconnected the tubes and zip tied then on. connected the pump to a psu and let it run for a bit with the rad standing so air air would go the top of the rad. works great for my red-mod!

edit: added tubing suggestion and coolant bit.

Last edited:
You will lose the original shroud, yes, but the mounting holes should be the same.

I'm reading this as you want to replace just the rad, right?
its totally doable. you just have to get a rad that has a fill port or more than two ports, 1/4" barbs and new 1/4" tubing. if you don't have a rad with a third port it is still doable just tricky because you have fill the pump and the rad without getting a ton of air in the system. heres a 240mm rad with a built in res that would make it much easier: Swiftech MCR220 2 x 120mm Radiator w/ Reservoir get two of the silver 1/4" barbs, coolant or additive if using distilled water and a couple feet of 1/4'ID tube too! like this stuff: Tygon A-60-G Norprene 1/4" ID
cut the old hose off, attach new hose and rad. fill rad, power it up to fill the pump and top it up as it bleeds out the air. just angle the pump so the barbs are upright and keep the rad up higher. no prob!

I refurbed a h60 and to refill it I connected tubes to the rad and filled it. kinda shook it around and tilted and angled it to get as much air out as possible. then I forced fluid threw the pump barbs while it was tipped on edge so the barbs were as high as possible to let out as much air as possible. then I carefully reconnected the tubes and zip tied then on. connected the pump to a psu and let it run for a bit with the rad standing so air air would go the top of the rad. works great for my red-mod!

edit: added tubing suggestion and coolant bit.
What he said :)

Back