Converting 1 SSD system to RAID 1

Fix Me

Gawd
I'm trying to convert a 1 SSD system to RAID 1 utilizing a PCI-E RAID controller card. I have Windows 10 on one Samsung 256GB SSD and am adding a second one. Is this possible to do without reinstalling Windows 10 or will I always need to wipe the drives to set them up for RAID and then reinstall Windows? If that's the case, can I make an image of it and then after I get RAID 1 setup, can I load the image to avoid reinstalling everything? I have a good backup, so reinstalling everything wouldn't be horrible.

You have an add-on PCI RAID controller? You'll probably have to add the drives to the array, which will wipe them.

However, your RAID card, is it an el-cheapo card? If so, it's probably a fake RAID card - it's basically just a SATA controller that uses driver tricks to perform RAID functions; nothing actually happens on the RAID card. In other words, you could just use Windows' built-in drive mirroring, which can happen without having to reinstall. You do it in Disk Management, just right click on your volume and add a mirror.

you could just use Windows' built-in drive mirroring, which can happen without having to reinstall. You do it in Disk Management, just right click on your volume and add a mirror.

This

Setting up a raid1 mirror will require you wiping the drive, but the windows service should be fine.., or even windows file history will do what it seems like you want.. E.G. just have a backup of everything.

Thanks guys, if I can do the mirroring with the Windows service, that sounds like the way to go.

You can always backup the image to a 3rd drive, re-arrange the drives you wish to use and then restore your backup. Saves from having to do a reinstall, but requires a 3rd drive.

(if you want to be a jerk about it, you can go buy a drive for this purpose and then return it and at worst pay a restocking fee).

I would not recommend raid. On fake raid even with raid 1 I have had boot arrays get corrupted. I would recommend a secondary spinner and image your ssd along with backups of important files

I would personally reinstall everything after setting up the raid array. A hardware raid controller will usually write array info to the boot sector area of your drives. Restoring a full drive image afterwards might mess that up. Restoring files after a reinstall is fine of course.

I would not recommend raid. On fake raid even with raid 1 I have had boot arrays get corrupted. I would recommend a secondary spinner and image your ssd along with backups of important files

That's because the only thing raid 1 can save you from is a dying drive. If your computer corrupts data, it will also gladly mirror the corrupt data. Raid is not backup and should never be thought of as such. Raid 1 provides redundancy, so you can keep using your computer after a drive fails. That's all.

I would personally reinstall everything after setting up the raid array. A hardware raid controller will usually write array info to the boot sector area of your drives. Restoring a full drive image afterwards might mess that up. Restoring files after a reinstall is fine of course.

That's because the only thing raid 1 can save you from is a dying drive. If your computer corrupts data, it will also gladly mirror the corrupt data. Raid is not backup and should never be thought of as such. Raid 1 provides redundancy, so you can keep using your computer after a drive fails. That's all.
And that's the intended purpose of this. We have the drive data being backed up to an external source. I just want the system to be usable in case of a drive failure. Throw in new drive, let it rebuild, job done.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Windows will let you mirror a bootable drive (it will still mirror it, it just won't be bootable), which defeats the intended purpose. So, I probably will just reinstall everything and use either the mb or a RAID card. C'est la vie, at least I have a good backup.

Back