Converted Dell XPS M1530 to XP Pro

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area but thought some of you might find this interesting. Purchased a Dell XPS M1530 several months back. Of course it came loaded with Vista. After deleting unnecessary programs, side bar and numerous non esentials, it wasn't too bad but, hasd to see what it would do with XP Pro. Improvements are, much better speed in almost all areas, much better performance with the nvidia 8600M GT, faster boot, faster shutdown, just to name a few. Very worthwhile IMHO. It seems that many of the drivers and programs, that were supposed to be "Vista Compatible", work, but not very well. MUCH better with XP Pro!

Any modern machine, if properly set up, will run just as fast using Vista as it will with XP assuming you keep things up to date. That includes your XPS..

If you will notice, I said that I got Vista to run acceptably but was bothered by the poor performance of the video card using Dell's latest driver updates. Text was poor and several of my pet programs did not display correctly. That was one of the biggest reasons I decided to try XP Pro. Both problems went away with the change!

If you will notice, I said that I got Vista to run acceptably but was bothered by the poor performance of the video card using Dell's latest driver updates. Text was poor and several of my pet programs did not display correctly. That was one of the biggest reasons I decided to try XP Pro. Both problems went away with the change!
Well, yeah. Those are almost a year old, but these aren't.

You didn't bother to mention (or at least explain) your driver issues in any detail before, so I had no way to know. Also, getting video driver updates from the laptop manufacturer is rarely a good idea... because as the other poster above me states, they're almost always ancient. Omegas or similar modified drivers are generally the best bet for ATI GPUs, and laptopvideo2go.com has modified INFs for pretty much all Nvidia GPUs, plus a huge collection of very up to date betas.

Back