Convert AVI to MPEG-2

Rossi~

2[H]4U
Hi all.
I was a sucker and got a Sony Bravia a few months back and was excited at internet connection and network streaming only to find that it can only really stream MPEG-2 and transcodes other formats to it... lame.
Therefore i was wondering if there was a way i could convert my AVIs into a high quality MPEG-2? Any ideas on what software i can use to test it out?

Last edited:
Something using ffmpeg should be able to output MPEG-2 content (which is the DVD standard compression). As for "high quality," well, MPEG-2 can only do so much. :)

HandBrake only outputs h.264 nowadays; it's never been capable of outputting straight MPEG-2 compliant video streams, but older versions could toss out Xvid MPEG-4 content, but that was pre-0.9.4 versions.

DVDFlick can turn AVI files of any kind (depending on what's contained inside) into DVD-compliant MPEG-2 streams but it's general purpose is to create actual DVD content, not just simple MPEG-2 files.

I lurk in topics like these nowadays, posting the occasional interjection like the one above. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion guys. Will check that shiz out tonight.

*waves angry fist at Sony*

Back