Convert audio clips to text

manofmilk

Weaksauce
I have a number of audio clips from interviews, currently in .wav format, that I need to transcribe. Can anybody suggest which is a decent free or paid for app that would allow me to do that convert these audio clips into text?

Thanks,

Ok well the best voice recognition software out there is from Nuance, its called Dragon Naturally Speaking, and its maybe 95% accurate, and while that may sound good it means 1 in every 20 words is wrong. The big problem here is that your supposed to train dragon naturally speaking to your voice, assuming the things your trying to transcribe are being spoken by someone else, you might get a program thats a little less accurate.

Now you just need software which will be able to playback your media on the line-in jack so that dragon can hear it. Audio Hijack would work but its OSX only. I'm stumped here.

Can you run me through your system so far? Who makes the tapes/how do you record em?

Can you run me through your system so far? Who makes the tapes/how do you record em?

The interviews are of students taken by my girlfriend as part of her Masters study and she has to include full transcripts in the appendix, as well as obviously pick out relevant bits for the actual dissertation.
The clips are of 'ok' quality with not too much background noise (slight buzzing occasionally, rustling of papers etc) but there often several different voices in the same clip so any 'training' is not really possible. The interviews were recorded digitally using her new Dictaphone, this has a USB cable that allows the raw audio clips to be transferred to a PC for editing.
She often dictates notes so would be fine paying for a well known voice-text app but right now she really doesn’t want to spend days sitting a the keyboard manually transcribing the interviews.

Cheers

As trexler suggests, a transcriber would the best and most accurate option.

You might try using Jott ( http://jott.com/default.aspx ) It transcribes voice to text. You call in on a 1-800 number and say that you want to send a Jott to yourself (typically sent to an email address you provide, but you can make your preferences). Perhaps speaker phone would allow enough volume gain to make this work. Play back the recordings and try it out.

yeah, heh, they're paying someone in india $.10/hr to listen to jott messages and transcribe them, this totally doesnt seem economically viable to me, but, they're still around so wth.

Back