Controlling what Windows does when restarting

vitalym

Limp Gawd
Right now my Windows seems to cut power to the HDDs when I restart my PC, I'm guessing this is controlled through the registry.

Does anyone know where this is controlled?

I'm using Windows XP SP3

When you reboot your system, things.....shut down and turn on again. What's the problem?

When you reboot your system, things.....shut down and turn on again. What's the problem?

It seems you have misread my issue.

It cuts power to the HDDs and I hear them both power off, when you restart a PC it isn't supposed to cut power, that is what a cold boot does, it is supposed to be a warm boot.

And this is a problem... how? As when power is reapplied the hard drives spin right back up and are typically ready for action by the time most POST cycles are completed...

Sorry, I don't see an issue here, really.

I think it depends on the MB, my old Abit didn't cut the power, but my new Gigabyte board does, no OS change at all (i killed the old MB by putting tossing a fan on the case, lol)

What your described happens with every HDD, in every computer, ever.

And registry? No.

I believe it's the BIOS that covers this. My old ASUS mobo simply restarted with no issues, my new one however when I restart the entire system powers off, then powers on.

Well they never used to do it before.
I loaded a copy of Windows that included a few features slip streamed into it, guess one of them is doing it.
Well if you guys haven't heard of any settings for this, then I guess not.

Turn power saving off in Windows and see if that behaviour changes.

Back