Controlling a 120v pump

Ur_Mom

Fully [H]
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That's a power bar. Was that what you were looking at?

To run control is very easy. You simply need a small relay. I'm sure automotive will be fine. Get one with a 12VDC coil, and hook it up to the 12v and negative on a molex off the psu. The contacts should be rated for 120VAC, 1A should be fine. Though check your pump for an amp rating or watt rating. You will wire the pump power through the normally open contacts (N.O.).

The only thing to watch for is that you could start the PC and either the contacts or coil could die and the PC is running with no WC. But that's a risk of any cooling (air or water). There are ways to wire indicating lights, but then you are running AC through the case, which could induce voltage into circuits throwing things off or damaging parts.

The power bar turns on and off other devices plugged into the thing. If it reads that the PC is off (not pulling power) then it turns the other attached devices off (in this case, the pump.). Basically, it is acting as a relay - and I'm sure it uses one. Just not sure if anyone has used one. I'm worried about startup and shutdown speeds, or if it doesn't read that the PC is on (or off) and the pump doesn't turn on... Stuff like that.

Ah im on iPhone so i didn't browse it fully. Yes that should work just fine.

I used to have a psu with a plug on it that would power down the stuff plugged in to it when the pc turned off. But haven't seen one in years now.

O: Never heard of one of those before, but I bet it would work perfectly. Plug your monitor into those outlets as well, so that you will be sure whether the outlets are working or not.

I might have to pick up one of these myself.

That's what was in my last prebuilt PC. And yes monitor connected to it. Not sure who makes one now or if they are good quality.

Mine only had one plug.

Back