Controller Settings for Halo

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Sep 25, 2003
Messages
11,465
I just got an xbox and trying to play Halo with the controller sucks hard after playing it on the PC. What controller settings do you guys recommend? Normal, Southpaw, Legacy, Southpay-Legacy?
 
strange, i think halo is much better on the console control wise. Most common is the default, legacy i beleive where one stick is foward back and strafe, and other is look up down left right. It takes some getting used to, but after you play for a while youl love it.
 
Normal with inverted Y axis.

You just are not used to it.
 
Staples said:
Normal with inverted Y axis.

You just are not used to it.

yeah, I tried legacy and I couldn't do anything at all

and inverted Y axis is a definite no

the walking and looking around isn't too bad, I think I could get used to it, but what really sucks is you can't use melee attack or jump while looking around, which make close combat very hard for me


the only fps I ever played extensively on consoles was Goldeneye 007 for N64, but the controller was more suited for it IMO
 
EnderW said:
yeah, I tried legacy and I couldn't do anything at all

and inverted Y axis is a definite no

the walking and looking around isn't too bad, I think I could get used to it, but what really sucks is you can't use melee attack or jump while looking around, which make close combat very hard for me


the only fps I ever played extensively on consoles was Goldeneye 007 for N64, but the controller was more suited for it IMO

once you get used to the controls you'll be able to jump and do melee attacking so quickly it won't hinder your looking around.
 
]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
once you get used to the controls you'll be able to jump and do melee attacking so quickly it won't hinder your looking around.

cool, I'm just afraid I'm gonna get my ass handed to me at the Halo 2 release party monday night
 
EnderW said:
cool, I'm just afraid I'm gonna get my ass handed to me at the Halo 2 release party monday night

Well I'm sure the people who are used to playing halo (or any game) on xbox will have an upper hand on you, but the controls will be every so slightly different.

Maybe you should invest in one of those mouse/keyboard adapters for the xbox ;)
 
]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
Maybe you should invest in one of those mouse/keyboard adapters for the xbox ;)

I'm considering it. Being able to use my MX1000 would be so nice. But I've heard those adapters are kinda glitchy.
 
EnderW said:
I'm considering it. Being able to use my MX1000 would be so nice. But I've heard those adapters are kinda glitchy.

yeah I've never used one. I'm a console kiddy at heart :p
 
Normal, inverted-Y. I picked up one of those gun-grip controllers so that I can look and smack at the same time. Steep learning curve on them, but they work well.
//edit: sensitivity 6, I don't use the sniper rifle much.

I also had to dremel the trigger guards off, way too small.
 
i use normal with inverted y at 5 sensitivity. i'm not terribly good but meh
 
i play standard invert .. but i switch the toss grenade triger with the melee action button .. i think they call this a "boxer" setup .. i love it
 
Those converters are for PS2 mice, I don't think a wireless USB will work.
 
hellomcfly said:
but i switch the toss grenade triger with the melee action button .. i think they call this a "boxer" setup .. i love it

hmm



Staples said:
Those converters are for PS2 mice, I don't think a wireless USB will work.

couldn't I just use the USB to PS/2 adapter I'm currently using to connect it to my computer?
 
I have a friend that uses the boxer setup (if that's what it's called) and he really likes it.

I use stock setup except I turned sensitivity up to 10
 
]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
I have a friend that uses the boxer setup (if that's what it's called) and he really likes it.

I use stock setup except I turned sensitivity up to 10
gee i wounder who that is :p and if i remember you use to play at 7 till i jacked yours up to 10 for shits and giggles.. turns out he killed me faster... go figure :p
 
I just started to playing Halo back on my Xbox through XBC so I get good at it for Halo 2.
:p
 
I'm feeling the "Boxer" won't be quite as popular in Halo 2. The melee attack is waaay weaker. You have to attack from behind to make it effective at all. I'd much rather have fast grenades. Not to mention, the grenade button shoots your left-hand weapon while dual wielding.
 
AlexStenka said:
I just started to playing Halo back on my Xbox through XBC so I get good at it for Halo 2.
:p

XBC is so much fun. I can't waint to play Halo 2 on xbox live. It's gonna be insane.
 
Back
Top