Controller for Freenas -4i vs -8i cards

falkenbd

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 11, 2013
Messages
171
I am going to be building a freenas box, and am looking to hookup 5+ hard drives. Can I go with something like a 4i LSI card? I keep seeing things in the specs it can handle up to 256 drives etc. That can't be correct, right?
 
Make sure you have enough ports... You would need a SAS expander if you wanted to exceed the 4 lane cable...

The 4i with an expander would be more expensive.
 
I saw some eBay auctions that led me to believe the 4i had 2 sas ports. Which I realize might not be the case. Maybe those sellers had the 8i and didn't realize it, or maybe it was just an incorrect picture they stole.
 
Typically they steal someone else's picture or use one picture for many items and say that in the description the image doesn't represent the actual one you receive. As long as you get the model number your are purchasing and know what is coming, typically you won't have issues on Flea Bay.
 
Back
Top