Controller Causing SMART Failures

doubleJ

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 10, 2004
Messages
221
I just picked up a Pny S-Cure raid3 card and have installed some wd2500yd / wd2500ys drives on it. With 2 yd/1ys it made it through the migration from 1 full drive to raid3 (took like 4 days). Shortly (same day) after the completion, it said a drive failed.
I took the drive off the chain and ran a diagnostic. It had a smart failure. I rma'd it and ordered a new drive (I'm aiming for 5 250's). I got the new drive, plugged it in, and rebuilt. The rebuild failed because of a read error. I took the drive that said the read error was from off the chain and ran a diagnostic. It had a smart failure. I rma'd that drive and received the first rma replacement.
Continue for, now, 4 drives. I have 2 drives sitting in my case, currently, that show failed. Is it possible that the card is screwing up the smart chip or something? I am connecting the drives as they come in to my mobo and checking, before putting on the raid card. If they pass before and fail after, I'm guessing it's the card. I wouldn't think the card would effect the actual drive, though.
JJ
 
Have you checked your power supply? Having that many drives go bad for any reason is an indicator that you should check the basics. The raid card is unlikely to kill anything, although I suppose it could happen. After all, Netcell seems to be out of business...
 
Have you checked your power supply? Having that many drives go bad for any reason is an indicator that you should check the basics. The raid card is unlikely to kill anything, although I suppose it could happen. After all, Netcell seems to be out of business...
I have not thought about the power supply. It's the FSP400, I believe. I'll try unplugging some things and give it another try.
JJ
 
I unplugged some stuff and they are still showing failures. Keep in mind that the newest 2500ys (wd rma replacement) is showing pass.
If it was the psu, could that have damaged the drives before or would it be failing because of lack of current power?
JJ
 
So, my 30 days for returns to newegg is up in 2 days. I have new drives, but I don't want to add them to the card just for more to fail. On the other hand, I don't want to replace the card if it's fine.
Do you guy's have any additional suggestions?
JJ
 
Back
Top