Controling Server

Phantom

n00b
I am going to turn my friends old hp in to a little file server and need some help I would like to be able to controle it from a nother computer in the network like my notebook so I will not have to keep a keyboard and moniter hooked up to it. What are some programs that will work on winxp I can only think of Sub7 the trogen but that dose not work on xp and I would rather not have a virus running it but if needed i will since they can be locked with a pw most of the time.

Also I have not seen any where that tells me how I can set the drives as a network drive.

If the server is running WinXP Pro, it comes with a remote desktop server.

Otherwise many people use VNC or one of its many variations... RealVNC, TightVNC, etc. It's free.

Phantom said:
Also I have not seen any where that tells me how I can set the drives as a network drive.
Right click on the Drive you want to share and click on sharing and security. then click "If you understand the risk but still want to share you root drive bla bla bla" then click "Share this folder on a network. This can be done with any file if you don't want to share the root drive. To access it you go to network places. Now if you want to have a network drive, do what I said above and on each client goto any folder like my computer or something, goto tools\map network drive. Then goto browse then network places folder, and select the drive or folder. That's it. It looks more complicated than it really is. hope that helps, If you have any quistions feel free to ask.

EDIT: I also use real VNC for remote desktop becouse it works on all os's.

Thanks also how would I go about setting my router to see the comands comming in to the ftp and route it to the srever I am running G6ftp I can get it to work just not out side the router

Phantom said:
Thanks also how would I go about setting my router to see the comands comming in to the ftp and route it to the srever I am running G6ftp I can get it to work just not out side the router

depends on your router. If its just a SOHO linksys or dlink look for the port forwarding page.

You want to forward whatever port your ftp is listening on to the IP address your FTP is at.

Do you guys ever have a problem with VNC running a little bit bogged down? I've tried a few different flavors and they all do it, although RealVNC seems to run the fastest. The machines in question are more then capable too.

Also, how do you get around having a machine reboot without a keyboard attached? Bios option to turn off all boot errors only on supported motherboard, or what?

yes turn it off in bios if not just connect one till it is up then remove the keyboard

Back