control esxi from linux

ChRoNo16

[H]ard|Gawd
anyone know if I can control my esxi boxes from linux? ive never tried but i want to dump windows off of my c2d laptop and find a nice linux distro

I'm looking for a better solution as well, as I don't really use Windows for much anymore.

I know you can enable SSH access on ESXi, but that doesn't give you any kind of GUI obviously.

anyone know if I can control my esxi boxes from linux? ive never tried but i want to dump windows off of my c2d laptop and find a nice linux distro

That's the down fall of xen and esxi they need that stupid windows client,,, proxmox is 100% web interface :)

Or hyper v...

idk anything about proxmox... i guess i feel since I havent heard about it in requests for advice, it must not be worth my time.

I had abysmal disk performance when I tried proxmox. Not sure why. Much better with ESXi.

idk anything about proxmox... i guess i feel since I havent heard about it in requests for advice, it must not be worth my time.

it's dead easy to setup and use, Probably don't hear much about it on the form because everyone eats xen or esxi every day. however administrating those too is a bitch because YOU NEED winblows!

If you want to administrate esxi xen you need a windows machine, plain and simple.

MANY would think that vmware would for fuk sakes put out a client for all os's BUT NOOOOOO !!!

i need esx w/ very low power consumption, so basically right now I have no running servers.

MANY would think that vmware would for fuk sakes put out a client for all os's BUT NOOOOOO !!!

I believe most of their development effort will be a web based application and not a thick client. This solves the compatibility issues. Look at all the products like View and VCD all managed via your browser, not too mention the web access for vSphere that exists today. They just need to build on that, and HTML5 will certainly allow that.

That's the down fall of xen and esxi they need that stupid windows client,,, proxmox is 100% web interface :)

Or hyper v...

Or the NGC coming from VMware in 5.1. Or the existing web client in 5.0, although it's very limited.

Yes, we've heard this complaint. Yes, we listened. Yes, the next version is a universal based web client that runs on any web browser that isn't lynx. :p (You will still have the thick client for some time if you really want it).

:)

I believe most of their development effort will be a web based application and not a thick client. This solves the compatibility issues. Look at all the products like View and VCD all managed via your browser, not too mention the web access for vSphere that exists today. They just need to build on that, and HTML5 will certainly allow that.

You do realize that's what we're doing, and released the proof-of-concept in 5.0, right?

it's dead easy to setup and use, Probably don't hear much about it on the form because everyone eats xen or esxi every day. however administrating those too is a bitch because YOU NEED winblows!

If you want to administrate esxi xen you need a windows machine, plain and simple.

No you don't. There's only a few things you can't do with the web client in 5.0, but that'll change in the next version.

You do realize that's what we're doing, and released the proof-of-concept in 5.0, right?

No you don't. There's only a few things you can't do with the web client in 5.0, but that'll change in the next version.

Oh ya when's that coming out ? 20 years from now .?

I guess its super hard to code the web based admin and have all the functionality of the regular windows one??

I personally hate it when companies make you use windows crap.(certain apartment management software through the web wouldnt allow anything but IE)

No kidding? Really? I wonder what gave that away:rolleyes:

I also realize that's exactly what it is, a PoC. Obviously that's the route VMware is taking and exactly why I mentioned it.

Oh ya when's that coming out ? 20 years from now .?

Inferring VMware's release schedule is pretty easy. It hasn't changed much over the years.

I guess its super hard to code the web based admin and have all the functionality of the regular windows one??

I personally hate it when companies make you use windows crap.(certain apartment management software through the web wouldnt allow anything but IE)

"Yes."

Especially given the advanced features that keep getting added. And you want it to work identically on all browsers, which gets interesting to boot. It's not a simple task.

No kidding? Really? I wonder what gave that away:rolleyes:

I also realize that's exactly what it is, a PoC. Obviously that's the route VMware is taking and exactly why I mentioned it.

:p

How come they didn't just make a full-featured admin webUI from the beginning?

Because "the beginning" was a while ago and a lot of the cool things you can do now couldn't be done then.

Get over it people. Stop being dicks about it. It's coming.

HTML5 certainly opens up a whole new window of opportunity..and to be quite honest, i'm willing to wait as long as it takes to make sure it's right on release. As I see it, most users need some sort of Windows Machine, VM or otherwise..so this shouldn't be all that bad.

Also, there is still the cli and scripts etc that can be used to complete quite alot of tasks.

Back