Contract is ending end of May. Sprint Vs T-Mobile

darrpara

Gawd
Sprint: With employer discount I pay $157 after taxes for two lines. My wife and I both have EVO3Ds (lol wimax). I've been less than impressed by Sprint's 3g speeds. I have a wimax phone so I haven't been able to see how well the LTE network is going.

T-Mobile: $100 or $120/mo 2.5GB vs unlimited for two lines if phone is bought up front. I can't go down to 100 minutes as my wife and I use these phones for work related stuff (and no my company won't pay for a cellphone :( ) However, we do get a 15% discount there which brings it to $102 and $119 before taxes.. i'll add $10 in taxes for comparison

So comparison for HTC One pricing:
Sprint
$200 x 2 for phone cost = $400 (only new lines get the $99 price)
$157/mo x 24 = $3768
$4168

T-Mobile
$99 x 2 for phone cost = $200
$135 or $152/mo (40/mo for the phones and 10/mo tax ) = 3240/3648
$3440/3848

What do you think I should do? We do some traveling but mostly to larger cities. I will say that having Sprint roam on Verizon has been somewhat handy. Decisions decisions..This is in Austin if anyone has experience with either carrier in the area

edit: i can't math apparently

Last edited:
Similar situation as you. I have two lines with evo3d and evo4g and pay about $135 a month with 20% off employer discount.

Sprint voice is decent in my home. Wimax is nonexistant and 3g speeds are about 0.1 Mbps down and up.

Tmobile and AT&T are out of the question because all my friends that come over on these networks get zero service.

My contract ends in June and I am ready to jump to Verizon. My buddy came over this weekend and logged 21 Mbps download / 8 up through 4G LTE. Simply. Not. Fair.

One thing that made my decision easier was the fact that I broke my evo3d and am currently using an older generation blackberry.

Waiting for either the HTC One or Samsung S4 to show up.

You should make sure that T-mobile gets you decent data speeds and voice connects in your home before you jump ship.

Wirefly has the family and friends discount for Sprint HTC One at $120.

Id honestly say go T-MO

Stick with larger cities as you say, and your will have good signal , and no issues ... It will roam on AT&T If it really needs to (as in you have literally no T-Mo signal)

Im with T-Mo, and couldnt be happier.

If the T-M reception is good at where you are, then it's pretty easy to decide.

If the T-M reception is good at where you are, then it's pretty easy to decide.

I came here to post this just after seeing the thread title.

I think I'm going to ditch Verizon next year when my contract is up and go to T-Mobile. I'm pretty sure their coverage around here is decent enough. Verizon just keeps worsening their practices while T-Mobile is getting better. There's only so much BS I can take before their great coverage and speeds aren't enough to keep me. Seems like they're trying to get away with as much as they can before they start losing customers.

I'm going to alter your math some.

First, don't count taxes. On one hand, taxes are a certainty, and if they were the same on both carriers, then that will scale accordingly with the plan. Secondly, most of the "taxes" are carrier below-the-line fees and aren't really taxes, and these will vary from carrier to carrier. Unless you know the exact amount for both carriers, best to leave them out.

Next, the standard subsidized plan gives the customer the most value when they upgrade as soon as an upgrade is available. Upgrading before this becomes expensive, and upgrading after this point offers no value to the consumer. So, I'm going to offer some annual price differences.

As far as discounts go, I get 15% on any carrier (military/government). If you're in a similar boat, don't worry about calculating that. If your discount is different per carrier, then do the calculations. With that said, here's a few numbers based on your 2-line desire;

Sprint (Simply Everything Plan): includes unlimited data per line and unlimited text
1500 minutes - $149.99/mo
3000 minutes - $189.99/mo
unlimited minutes - $209.99/mo

TMobile (Simple Choice Plans): includes unlimited 2G data per line, unlimited minutes and text, and 500MB of mobile hotspot, below data options are per line (not shared)
500MB of 4G data - $80.00
2.5GB of 4G data - $100.00
unlimited 4G data - $120.00

Now, picking plans is difficult. If you need unlimited minutes but not a lot of data, you could be comparing Sprint's $210 plan to TMobile's $80 plan. On the other hand, if you're a high-speed data hog and don't talk much, you could end up comparing Sprint's $150 plan to Tmobile's $120 plan (and with phone installments, that puts Sprint on top). So, here's a few comparisons using the 16GB iPhone 5 as the phone.

Minutes don't matter, data does: Sprint 1500 minute plan vs. T-Mobile unlimited data option. In this case, you're paying $199.99 per phone up front on Sprint, $99.99 on TMobile. Plan cost is $149.99/mo on Sprint, $120.00/mo on TMO, but an additional $40/mo for the first 24 months.

1-year: Slight edge to T-Mobile. Sprint costs $2,199.86, and TMobile is $2,119.98.
2-year: Slight edge to Sprint as the $10/mo extra on TMobile makes a difference. $3,999.74 on Sprint, $4,039.98 on TMobile.
3-year: T-Mobile wins as the $40/mo falls off, $5,799.62 for Sprint, $5,479.98 for TMobile.
Analysis: If you don't care about minutes, it's a relative push. If you upgrade at precisely 2-years, Sprint comes out slightly ahead. Otherwise, TMobile comes out slightly ahead.

Data doesn't matter, minutes do: Sprint unlimited option vs. TMobile 500Mb option.

1-year: TMobile wins, $1,639.98 to $2,919.86.
2-year: TMobile again, $3,079.98 to $5,439.74
3-year: TMobile again, $4,039.98 to $7,959.62
Analysis: You're comparing a $210 plan to an $80 plan. If you need unlimited minutes and don't care about data, TMobile all the way.

I want everything: direct comparison of the most expensive plans.

1-year: TMobile wins, $2,119.98 to $2,919.86.
2-year: TMobile again, $4,039.98 to $5,439.74
3-year: TMobile again, $5,479.98 to $7,959.62
Analysis: Again, expensive versus inexpensive. If you want it all, TMobile wins.

As has been said before, it comes down to coverage. But when it comes to phone availability and pricing, TMobile wins. Unless you need fewer minutes and unlimited 4G data, it's not even close.

The main question should be where do you live?

Austin, TX. Sprint 3g is ~.005Mbps down to 1.08 Mbps with the latter being the MAX I have ever seen here. I have seen 11Mbps down on wimax but it is pretty sparse in terms of coverage.

I'm going to alter your math some.

First, don't count taxes. On one hand, taxes are a certainty, and if they were the same on both carriers, then that will scale accordingly with the plan. Secondly, most of the "taxes" are carrier below-the-line fees and aren't really taxes, and these will vary from carrier to carrier. Unless you know the exact amount for both carriers, best to leave them out.

Next, the standard subsidized plan gives the customer the most value when they upgrade as soon as an upgrade is available. Upgrading before this becomes expensive, and upgrading after this point offers no value to the consumer. So, I'm going to offer some annual price differences.

As far as discounts go, I get 15% on any carrier (military/government). If you're in a similar boat, don't worry about calculating that. If your discount is different per carrier, then do the calculations. With that said, here's a few numbers based on your 2-line desire;

Sprint (Simply Everything Plan): includes unlimited data per line and unlimited text
1500 minutes - $149.99/mo
3000 minutes - $189.99/mo
unlimited minutes - $209.99/mo

TMobile (Simple Choice Plans): includes unlimited 2G data per line, unlimited minutes and text, and 500MB of mobile hotspot, below data options are per line (not shared)
500MB of 4G data - $80.00
2.5GB of 4G data - $100.00
unlimited 4G data - $120.00

Now, picking plans is difficult. If you need unlimited minutes but not a lot of data, you could be comparing Sprint's $210 plan to TMobile's $80 plan. On the other hand, if you're a high-speed data hog and don't talk much, you could end up comparing Sprint's $150 plan to Tmobile's $120 plan (and with phone installments, that puts Sprint on top). So, here's a few comparisons using the 16GB iPhone 5 as the phone.

Minutes don't matter, data does: Sprint 1500 minute plan vs. T-Mobile unlimited data option. In this case, you're paying $199.99 per phone up front on Sprint, $99.99 on TMobile. Plan cost is $149.99/mo on Sprint, $120.00/mo on TMO, but an additional $40/mo for the first 24 months.

1-year: Slight edge to T-Mobile. Sprint costs $2,199.86, and TMobile is $2,119.98.
2-year: Slight edge to Sprint as the $10/mo extra on TMobile makes a difference. $3,999.74 on Sprint, $4,039.98 on TMobile.
3-year: T-Mobile wins as the $40/mo falls off, $5,799.62 for Sprint, $5,479.98 for TMobile.
Analysis: If you don't care about minutes, it's a relative push. If you upgrade at precisely 2-years, Sprint comes out slightly ahead. Otherwise, TMobile comes out slightly ahead.

Data doesn't matter, minutes do: Sprint unlimited option vs. TMobile 500Mb option.

1-year: TMobile wins, $1,639.98 to $2,919.86.
2-year: TMobile again, $3,079.98 to $5,439.74
3-year: TMobile again, $4,039.98 to $7,959.62
Analysis: You're comparing a $210 plan to an $80 plan. If you need unlimited minutes and don't care about data, TMobile all the way.

I want everything: direct comparison of the most expensive plans.

1-year: TMobile wins, $2,119.98 to $2,919.86.
2-year: TMobile again, $4,039.98 to $5,439.74
3-year: TMobile again, $5,479.98 to $7,959.62
Analysis: Again, expensive versus inexpensive. If you want it all, TMobile wins.

As has been said before, it comes down to coverage. But when it comes to phone availability and pricing, TMobile wins. Unless you need fewer minutes and unlimited 4G data, it's not even close.
I have a 23% discount at Sprint. However, that discount is now only applied to the FIRST line which is another reason I am considering leaving. So the math is as follows:
Sprint 1500 minute plan
1st line +$110.00
23% off -$25.30
Premium data +$10
2nd line +$19.99
Premium data +$10
Insurance x2 lines +$16
Sprint total before surcharges ($8.71 and taxes $7.93 is $140.69

T-Mobile
2 lines 2GB + $100
15% off -$15
2x phones +40
2x Insurance? +$16
T-Mobile total before surcharges $141.00 humm...

I came here to post this just after seeing the thread title.

I think I'm going to ditch Verizon next year when my contract is up and go to T-Mobile. I'm pretty sure their coverage around here is decent enough. Verizon just keeps worsening their practices while T-Mobile is getting better. There's only so much BS I can take before their great coverage and speeds aren't enough to keep me. Seems like they're trying to get away with as much as they can before they start losing customers.

Does Tmobile even have 'upgrades' anymore. From looking at their site everything is full retail or am I wrong?

I have a 23% discount at Sprint. However, that discount is now only applied to the FIRST line which is another reason I am considering leaving. So the math is as follows:
Sprint 1500 minute plan
1st line +$110.00
23% off -$25.30
Premium data +$10
2nd line +$19.99
Premium data +$10
Insurance x2 lines +$16
Sprint total before surcharges ($8.71 and taxes $7.93 is $140.69

T-Mobile
2 lines 2GB + $100
15% off -$15
2x phones +40
2x Insurance? +$16
T-Mobile total before surcharges $141.00 humm...

Then in your case, TMobile is the better deal. That $0.31/mo extra is for the first 24 months, more than completely offset by the lower up-front cost of their phones. Also, unless you upgrade at exactly 24 months everytime, TMobile becomes an even bigger bargain.

Does Tmobile even have 'upgrades' anymore. From looking at their site everything is full retail or am I wrong?

Sort of. You have a base monthly plan. You then either pay full price for the phone, or you buy it at a discounted rate (equal to or less than the typical carrier subsidy rate) and pay the remainder in monthly installments.

Once your phone is paid off, you can "upgrade" again. I don't know if they let you pay it off early, but you can inquire. But even if you don't, it works out similar to the 2-year upgrades on other carriers, with the exception here that your monthly service fee drops after the phone is paid off, if you don't upgrade right away.

You can pay $20/mo for the phone for 24 months with the option to pay it off early at any time (think of it as an ETF replacement)

So the HTC One would be $99 down + $20x24months ($480) = $579

Then in your case, TMobile is the better deal. That $0.31/mo extra is for the first 24 months, more than completely offset by the lower up-front cost of their phones. Also, unless you upgrade at exactly 24 months everytime, TMobile becomes an even bigger bargain.

I will try to find someone that lives near me with T-Mobile to check reception around here and go from there then. Thanks!

So even though there is no 'upgrade' or contract it's essentially the exact same thing...If people don't realize that ATT/VZW/Sprint do this already in the form of a low up front cost higher monthly cost they are high. I believe all carriers are waiting and if this works out well for T-Mobile the others will move over to a system that is similar to it, if not the exact same setup.

So even though there is no 'upgrade' or contract it's essentially the exact same thing...If people don't realize that ATT/VZW/Sprint do this already in the form of a low up front cost higher monthly cost they are high. I believe all carriers are waiting and if this works out well for T-Mobile the others will move over to a system that is similar to it, if not the exact same setup.
The key difference being once the phone is paid off your bill drops. On all other carriers it stays the same and you pay extra for not upgrading your phone.

But then it's been 2 years with the same phone and you'll get that itch to upgrade to a newer phone thus restarting the $20 x 24 :/

But then it's been 2 years with the same phone and you'll get that itch to upgrade to a newer phone thus restarting the $20 x 24 :/

The $20x24 is a worst case for flagship phones. Look at other devices as well.

Nokia Lumia 810 - $0 up front, $15x24
HTC Windows Phone 8X - $0 up front, $18x24
Nexus 4 - $50 up front, $17x24

There are also web discounts for getting them from the T-Mobile website as opposed to in-store.

Thread resurrection but it is my thread..

FYI HTC has has a $100 trade in for old phones. My wife and I both have EVO 3ds which are worth $100. This means the T-Mobile version of the HTC phone is effectively "free" from any up front cost for us so I will be moving to T-Mobile most likely.

HTC also has a promotion going on this weekend where they'll pay extra for your smartphone, up to $400 or so. I was looking at $375 for my Note2 (which is a bad offer) but still... Might get you a bit more in your pocket.

HTC also has a promotion going on this weekend where they'll pay extra for your smartphone, up to $400 or so. I was looking at $375 for my Note2 (which is a bad offer) but still... Might get you a bit more in your pocket.

Yup that is what I meant in my post. Still better than the buyback Sprint gives me.

Back