Content-aware fill in Photoshop CS5

DennisK4

Limp Gawd
So I got the brand spanking new Adobe CS5 Master Collection and one of the most anticipated tools is content-aware fill in Photoshop. It is supposed to make it easy to edit out an object from a picture. I tried it and it seems to give pretty good, and fast, results, in some cases at least. The horse below was edited out using only content-aware fill and in less than two minutes. Anybody else have an opinion on this? Something you will make use of?

2qn37u9.jpg

Its not perfect but pretty good for less than two minutes. Notice the splash and shadow is mostly gone.

Last edited:
Thats pretty impressive! If you didnt tell me the 2nd pic was a 'chop I wouldnt have noticed.

Yah, it seems like that's all anybody talks about with PSCS5's release now. I see images all over the place at forums now being "chopped" to death with people going insane with CAF. It's an awesome tool, a very welcome addition obviously, but it ain't all that and a big of chips too. :)

I doubt most people will have a serious use for it, but those that will probably jumped for joy when it was first announced, and are now producing great images because of it.

It's fun to play with. I have some scans of photos I took years ago that had autographs written on them (using a Magic Marker) and now I can "remove" the autographs from the images, with fantastic results actually.

Very cool stuff... and great work on that image above, that's pretty wicked for just 2 minutes of work. Some more touch ups and you can get rid of that little bit of shadow, another CAF pass with a lasso around it would probably take care of it.

Great job.

Thats pretty impressive! If you didnt tell me the 2nd pic was a 'chop I wouldnt have noticed.

Yeah, when you have the original picture to compare with it is easy to spot weaknesses. Also you find flaws with a pic when you know it is a 'shop.

I have not done a whole lot of this kind of work with Photoshop before, so I am quite impressed with this new tool.

This is a pretty remarkable tool...

I just hope they dident ruin CS5 again like they did in 4... My copy should be here this week for me to start playing with. If its like CS4 was though its going to be back it goes.

It's big, bloated, and relatively slow on the same hardware as CS3 was (but I admit, that's a given since CS3 is fairly small and tight anyway). But CAF definitely stands out as I mentioned above. The new layout - for those of us that like CS3, that is - is a bit weird but, I suppose I'll get used to it as time goes by.

I just grabbed the trial edition when it became available, monster download, took 8 minutes to decompress (Core 2 Duo 1.66 GHz laptop, 7200 rpm drive but only 1GB of RAM), then another 7 minutes to install those extracted files. Damned bloated beast it is...

It's big, bloated, and relatively slow on the same hardware as CS3 was (but I admit, that's a given since CS3 is fairly small and tight anyway). But CAF definitely stands out as I mentioned above. The new layout - for those of us that like CS3, that is - is a bit weird but, I suppose I'll get used to it as time goes by.

I just grabbed the trial edition when it became available, monster download, took 8 minutes to decompress (Core 2 Duo 1.66 GHz laptop, 7200 rpm drive but only 1GB of RAM), then another 7 minutes to install those extracted files. Damned bloated beast it is...

Does the installer still want you to shut down your entire PC to install it? (no IE, no msn, etc.... damn commies)

The biggest change in CS4 that turned me off was being unable to select in the photo mat... (the grey area aroun the canvas when you make the image pane bigger)... basically an instant turn off. That and a bevy of other things that made it harder to use...

Was an allround bad experiance for me... I really hope that CS5 has changed that since a 64bit edition of photoshop is going to be amazing.

It didn't require a reboot, nor did it complain to shut other apps off during the install (and I chose the rather limited "custom" install where I unchecked a box that caused a bunch of extra garbage not to be installed) but, when I got sick of how it performed it did force me to close Firefox before it would proceed which kinda irked me.

So much crap gets installed even in spite of the "custom" checkbox. I really cannot believe that an app like Photoshop needs to be 2GB+ these days. i still use Paint Shop Pro 7.04 myself and get everything done I want done, and my god, look at something like Paint.NET - barely a floppy disk of data - and all the stuff it can do in the right hands.

Bloatware... that's the only word that describes it, seriously.

You might love it, you might hate it, only one way to find out.

i have to say i'm interested in how (or rather where) CAF didn't do such a good job on those images...in the demo (and in other cs5 demo videos) it looked unreal. still, pretty amazing time-cost/benefits.

Here is one I did took me about 5 minutes tops, would have taken a lot longer without content aware fill and it looks great!

Before:
4465845214_032e32e3f8.jpg

After:

4587065591_0320e948de.jpg

yeah this tool is pretty bad ass, it doesn't always work that great though.

It looks like a great tool and I cannot wait to play with it. But it should never replace proper framing. I could use it for some things, but outside of true professionals tweaking stock photos I dont see it getting a ton of use.

Very amazing tool and I wish I had it though :( lol.

I love the tool, not thats its novel, but because it shortens a lot of time consuming work down to a couple seconds, not even minutes. Then I can spend 10 minutes or so cleaning it up and you can get amazing results for the amount of time spent. Well done Adobe. Now get a RAW codec for 64bit and Ill be happy ><

Definitly pretty good. I have the content aware stuff in CS4 where i stretch images, works nicely, i'll have to try it out with CS5, which i have at work.

Have any of you pros compared this to the gimp resynthesizer plugin? Do you guys have any thoughts on that?

Due to costs, I've only played with gimp/resynth - but I might be tempted to lookup CS5 off of the wife's student discount.

I don't do too much photo editing - but I do like to have the best tools when I do! :D

only thing bad about this alot of people everlook is no more watermarking.

most instances i can just content aware it out.

Have any of you pros compared this to the gimp resynthesizer plugin? Do you guys have any thoughts on that?

Due to costs, I've only played with gimp/resynth - but I might be tempted to lookup CS5 off of the wife's student discount.

I don't do too much photo editing - but I do like to have the best tools when I do! :D

From what I understand they use completely different algorithms, and as such there will be cases were one is better then the other. I've seen comparisons where Gimp Resynthesizer did a much better job and PS content awareness made a mess of things and vice versa.

Back