Contemplating going back to AMD

BGM

Limp Gawd
right currently i have a P4 2.4c @ 3ghz running on an abit ic7

what AMD offering would give me equal performance, and more importantly cos its an upgrade what AMD offerings should i be looking at for significant performance increases,

cheers

lol thats exactly what i have!

im thinking of buildling an a64 based computer next.

but i don't even know where to start since i kinda have been outta the computer scene for a while.

An A64 3000+ or 3200+ for equal preformance?

at 3 ghz you're sitting pretty processor wise. I"d wait for 90nm s939.

Hell, if I had a P4C and the memory bandwidth didn't suck ass like it does on this Athlon XP I have, I wouldn't spend the money. It isn't a very big jump for you. The two CPUs are hard to compare because some tests just love one CPU over the other. I'd probably say an A64 3000+ or maybe a 2800+ would be equal to a P4C 3GHz.

at 3 ghz you're sitting pretty processor wise. I"d wait for 90nm s939.
Any word on when they are coming out?

oh right, having been out of the hardware scene for a little while i was under the impression that i was 'old' you know what with my cpu/mobo set up being a year old now :)

if you lot say its not, then thats all good by me!

ill get soem more ram i think, cos windows feels a bit sluggish at times :D

cheers!

a gig of ram won't hurt and you can def. transfer it to your new system.

BGM said:
what AMD offering would give me equal performance

To just answer your question; an Athlon 64 2800+ would give you better gaming performance with pretty equal performance in everything else, but... a 3000+ would perform better all around most of the time.

So, going from a 3.0GHz P4C:

A64 2800+ = Better gaming, equal-to-worse everything else
A64 3000+ = Better or Equal in Everything

So it's your choice. If money is a factor i'd say the 2800+. But if not, then hell, go for even like a 3200+ or 3400+.

right, im going to wait for those new chips to come out i think..

i want to go back to AMD, but cant afford it right now anyway.. so ill wait till my student loan comes in, lol :D

cheers for your help guys!!!

I would skip the upgrade. You have a nice stable and fast setup with your current CPU. Upgrading wouldn't give you a huge boost. If anything, upgrade video card, otherwise wait for nForce4, PCI-E, 90nm A64 etc.

BGM said:
oh right, having been out of the hardware scene for a little while i was under the impression that i was 'old' you know what with my cpu/mobo set up being a year old now :)
Well the CPU market has not really evolved much in the last year. Intel has pumped up the speed of their CPUs but now with the new design, they are not any faster than their previous P4Cs from 18 months ago. The A64 was a big jump over the Athlon XPs but that was only because the AXPs were not so great to begin with. The P4C and Athlon 64s seems to have their advantages and weaknesses but neither are really that much better than the other.

Staples said:
The A64 was a big jump over the Athlon XPs but that was only because the AXPs were not so great to begin with.
You got it opposite, the P4 wasn't great to begin with.

My roomate had a 2,4 P4 that hit 3.6GHz
he also has a 2600+ Mobile AMD that hit 2.7GHz

needless to say he sold the Intel chip

i'll just leave it at that

AMD T-type said:
My roomate had a 2,4 P4 that hit 3.6GHz
he also has a 2600+ Mobile AMD that hit 2.7GHz

needless to say he sold the Intel chip

i'll just leave it at that

That wouldn't be the same 2.4C that hit 300FSB would it? I swear reading about you and your roommates computers from another thread...lol looks like some kind of overclocking rivalry if any haha.

Staples said:
That was the belief of !!!!!!s everywhere a year ago. But it is hard for me to believe that after reading these numbers.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=1834

P4C > AXP by a long shot.
Then why do you say "begin with"? The P4 family didn't start with the P4C, but the slow Willamette's, and that was certainly not that great to begin with. Look at it's competition, Thunderbirds and Athlon XP's, and then again tell me the Athlon wasn't great to begin with. :)

Mav451 said:
That wouldn't be the same 2.4C that hit 300FSB would it? I swear reading about you and your roommates computers from another thread...lol looks like some kind of overclocking rivalry if any haha.

hehe yeah, we are always trying to out do the other

he just recently sold his 9800Pro for an X800Pro

now i'm contemplating getting a 6800GT for even more shits and giggles

I would go back ot amd. My cousin has an athlon xp that says it runs at 1.4, but he can play nearly any game out there. My friend has a p4 running at 1.6 and he can barely run halo.

AMD T-type said:
hehe yeah, we are always trying to out do the other

he just recently sold his 9800Pro for an X800Pro

now i'm contemplating getting a 6800GT for even more shits and giggles

how much money do you guys spend on that stuff?

DryFire said:
how much money do you guys spend on that stuff?

:(

well, he just spent about $1k on a new A64 939, mobo, and x800 a few weeks ago

soooooo . . . too much?

AMD T-type said:
:(

well, he just spent about $1k on a new A64 939, mobo, and x800 a few weeks ago

soooooo . . . too much?

well if he makes good money and enjoys it i guess not. I would think it's too much.

DryFire said:
well if he makes good money and enjoys it i guess not. I would think it's too much.
lol, we are college students
we both work as techs at two different insurance companies

I woudn't say we make a LOT,
but me personally, i manage my money fairly well

aka, i don't buy anything else :D

DryFire said:

lol, i don't make enough to support my buying habits. I got my a64/mb/x800pro for free from my parents for giving them that 2.4c @ 3.6ghz computer AMD T-Type was talking about.

Whenever AMD T-Type upgrades, i upgrade as well...this is really the first time that i've been a next generation of cpu/video card ahead of him.

why did you go for the 3800+ instead of the fx which is only like $80 more??? Reason I ask is you have the same setup I'm in the middle of purchasing as far as s939 amd with that mobo...

PureBooYah said:
lol, i don't make enough to support my buying habits. I got my a64/mb/x800pro for free from my parents for giving them that 2.4c @ 3.6ghz computer AMD T-Type was talking about.

Whenever AMD T-Type upgrades, i upgrade as well...this is really the first time that i've been a next generation of cpu/video card ahead of him.

It'd be nice to have parents that understand computers.

My dad knows barely nothing about computers. He can check his email at work. the only reason he knows anything is because of his job.

computerpro3 said:
why did you go for the 3800+ instead of the fx which is only like $80 more??? Reason I ask is you have the same setup I'm in the middle of purchasing as far as s939 amd with that mobo...

it's like $200 more now...at the time i bought the fastest cpu that i wouldn't have to pay for. If i went fx53 they said i would have to pay the extra for that. At the time it was like $120 more and the performance difference wasn't all that great and i'm not really a benchmark whore so the extra price wasn't really worth the performance difference to me.

Esben said:
Then why do you say "begin with"? The P4 family didn't start with the P4C, but the slow Willamette's, and that was certainly not that great to begin with. Look at it's competition, Thunderbirds and Athlon XP's, and then again tell me the Athlon wasn't great to begin with. :)
I guess we just have a different understanding of "begin with." It doesn't mean "at the begining" to me but now that I think about it, I guess that may literally be what it does mean. Never gave it much though. And yeah, the Willamettes were slow slow slow. But as Intel was able to ramp up the speed and the archetecture, there was a good 6 months where Intel held the lead.

Haha well...the time from the paper launched 2800+ (TBred B that is) and the "Paper Tiger" article @ THG, Intel had a pretty significant upper hand. The 865/875 OCed incredibly well, well, especially Asus and Abit with the "PAT" fiasco (oh no, 875 performance on a 865).

Personally, if I hadn't already bought a nForce2 just a month and a half before, I woulda jumped the gun to the 2.4C + PC3500 or PC3700 in search of the 1Ghz FSB. Of course, that is hindsight now. And...I avoided the whole Northwood death syndrome...though there seem to be a few threads at xtremesystems.org that are discussing Athlon 64 deaths (big *ughh*).

A64 deaths..... I sure hope not. I know that if you run mem over 2.9 you put your chip at higher risk.

Back