Contemplating a new GPU

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 96510

OK, I have an addiction. I keep flip-flopping on my GPU. See the details on my rig

AMD FX-8120 @ 4.1Ghz
Crosshair V
2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1866
Corsair C300 64GB OS
2x1TB Seagate 7200.11 Raid 0 Programs and Data
2TB WD Caviar Geen Backup
Galaxy GTX460 768MB SLI @ 800Mhz
Corsair GS800
NZXT Phantom

I want to move to a singe card that will be sufficient at 1920x1080. Games I will play in the future are MW3, Skyrim, BF3 and Mass Effect3. In that order probably. Looking to catch a deal on a 6950/6970 in the FS/FT thread. Will probably put the GPU under water (MCW80) and overclock some.

At this res, is there much difference between 1GB and 2GB cards outside of BF3 maybe? It there anything coming in the next 6 months that will make it a necessity? I want the best bang for the buck under $250. I can do $300 if the deal is amazing. I don't want overkill, so don't tell me to buy the highest card because it's the best. Tell me the one that will fit my needs best.

At this point get a 2GB card. No reason not to, and the extra VRAM could come in handy (as you said, BF3 and Skyrim with mods especially).

Get yourself a nice, used GTX 580 1.5GB. I just sold two of them for $350 ea. As the new gen cards come out you should easily be able to do so, as well.

I think you would be happy with a single 6950. CoD MW3 is no issue, my friend plays skyrim on ultra with a 5870 is quite pleased. I can't speak about BF3/Mass effect. but based on what ive read you will want a GTX 580 or better to crank the settings on BF3

why are you changing video cards at all? your GTX 480 ought to run just about any game out now @ 1080p with full/high details.

upgrading for the future is cool, though it doesn't help you now.

The setup you have now is pretty good for most games, no reason at all to upgrade. If anything wait awhile before getting stuck with some outdated gpu during the time of gpu transitions.

Back