Contemplating a 4P build... have questions

Carbon_Rod

Gawd
I've been planning it for awhile now.... it's the perfect project to keep me occupied over the next couple months. But I have questions... I'm hoping you 4P mafia members can help me with some answers.

1) For those of you with 4Ps, what kind of power draw are you seeing while folding? You see, another one of my dilemmas is that I actually thought I would start by building a 2P system, so I started by buying a PSU based on a 2P requirement. So I now have a brand new AX850 sitting here, but will it be enough to power a 4P? even with a moderate OC? I think I still may start with 2 CPUs and then add later, so even if I had to upgrade the PSU after adding 2 more CPUs, I could still use it initially.

2) I'm looking at the Supermicro H8QGi+-F, but have also looked at the SM H8QGi-F... I see that the H8QGi+-F only requires 2 additional EPS12V connectors whereas the H8QGi-F requires 3. Hopefully someone will be able to answer this, but is this because the H8QGi-F has the additional PCIe slots and the extra EPS12V is required for powering them? The only reason I ask is that I haven't found any mainstream PSUs that have 3 EPS12V connectors in the event that I have to, for some reason, settle on the H8QGi-F over the H8QGi+-F. I know there's always options for adding a 3rd EPS12V through an adapter of some sort, but I was curious if it was even really required on that board.

Any information provided is greatly appreciated... thanks.

850W is plenty for even an OC'd 4p. Normal numbers are about 400W-700W but that is at the wall power. That unit can supply 850W of DC power so it will be fine.

1. I am on the higher end at ~825W with overclocked 6180SEs. Unless you plan to hit the extreme high end, the 850W PSU will be fine.

2. I wouldn't worry about the 3rd MB connector. You can get a couple different adapters that will allow you to plug it in with any standard PSU.

Can't comment on the rest but I'm drawing abou 450 -500 on a quad fuck I'm drink but it's the 1.9 ghz 12core on Tyan with 16 1gig sticks, open bench

I should quit drinking lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm using an XFX850 for my 4P 6176SE. I purchased a couple of PCI-E to EPS12V adapters, works a treat and cheap.

Well thanks guys for the info!

Helps me sit a bit easier knowing I won't have to exchange the brand new PSU I bought.

As for the board, as I said I'm leaning towards the H8QGi+-F partly because it's practically $100 cheaper at any vendor I can find besides requiring only 2x EPS12V instead of 3.

Well thanks guys for the info!

Helps me sit a bit easier knowing I won't have to exchange the brand new PSU I bought.

As for the board, as I said I'm leaning towards the H8QGi+-F partly because it's practically $100 cheaper at any vendor I can find besides requiring only 2x EPS12V instead of 3.

I have the same board and it works great ;)

requiring only 2x EPS12V instead of 3.

I would double check that info. I know early boards came with two, but I think that was changed to three; at least according to the revised motherboard manual.

I would double check that info. I know early boards came with two, but I think that was changed to three; at least according to the revised motherboard manual.

Orly? I just double checked the manual from Supermicro's site, and unless the board has undergone a revision and they haven't revised the pictures on the site or the manual for it, the H8QGi+-F still has only 2 EPS12V connectors and the H8QGi-F is the version that has 3.

On the other hand, it's sorta inconsequential. If I need an adapter to do a 3rd EPS12V it's no biggy.

I just bought a new +- board two months ago. It has two EPS-12v connectors. I believe the boards that have are the boards with more full length PCI-e slots.

Get the GL anyways

and it has 3 12v aux

I'm running 4x 6172's on a 650W Seasonic unit. I think the wall draw is in the 450-500 range.

Not a fan of the GL series... I don't like their CPU layout. Besides I can still get the H8QGi+-F for less.
People buy GL series boards with intention to interconnect 2 boards together through HT expansion bus. Not sure if Supermicro has any expansion card available yet.

People buy GL series boards with intention to interconnect 2 boards together through HT expansion bus. Not sure if Supermicro has any expansion card available yet.
GL is also chosen for the better power delivery.

Just a data point:

I have the 3 EPV connector version of the Supermicro board, with 4 x 6272 cpu's. (I don't recommend these cpu's, btw, go with the 6174's). This is a 100% stock system w/16 x 2GB RAM (32GB total).

At the wall, it pulls between 592 and 624 watts, as it's folding bigadv wu's. (Exact numbers).

Just updating my old thread instead of starting a new one.... 4P is on hold until later this year I guess, but a 2P is in the works... I should have parts as early as next week.

Back