Consumers Are Too Dumb To Understand Google Fiber

she's probably single, right? I mean, it's a bit hard to marry someone who thinks you're stupid.

she's probably single, right? I mean, it's a bit hard to marry someone who thinks you're stupid.

Hate to break it to ya, but all women think us men are stupid.
Kind of like we men think there isn't a woman alive that can drive anything but us crazy!:D

On frontier myself in Hillsboro. If Google Fiber hits here.. I am easily switching. Although they have been very good to me.. And I will stay with them if they offer the same price/speed.

Frontier, which has had a monopoly on residential fiber in Portland's suburbs since acquiring Verizon's FiOS service four years ago, says Google is pitching something consumers don't understand, and don't need. "We have to take the mystery and the technology out of the experience for the user because it's a bit disrespectful to speak a language our customers don't understand."
What's disrespectful is treating me like a moron. I'm a web developer. I'm pretty sure I understand the internet. Even as a little kid I would have been incredibly insulted by this though. Even then I was more than capable of understanding the concept of "fiber make interweb go faster durrr".

"it's a bit disrespectful to speak a language our customers don't understand"

Kinda like it's "a bit disrespectful" to tell your customers they're morons and they don't need high-speed internet for cheap because you know best?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that most of us aren't as dumb as this company portrays us to be. :rolleyes:

What's disrespectful is treating me like a moron. I'm a web developer. I'm pretty sure I understand the internet. Even as a little kid I would have been incredibly insulted by this though. Even then I was more than capable of understanding the concept of "fiber make interweb go faster durrr".

What you and many others fail to realize is that we are not the norm.

Her comment should have been worded better, but it does fit just fine with the average user.

The average person does not understand the technology. Understanding the what a web page is and understanding the underlying technology for data transport to your house are two different things.

Do you know / understand the db of the signal coming to your house with fiber? are the waves coming to you 1310 nanometers, 850 nm, 1550 nm? is it multimode or single mode fiber? are the ends UPC or APC? what style LC, FC, SC, SMA 905, SMA 906? G-PON or Active E? If G-PON how many splitters? How do the splitters work?....

The average person does not know or understand that stuff. The average person doesn't understand how their phone works.

I live in a rural area, I work for a Telco / ISP and dealing with these devices is my job. We started a FTTH deployment last year. went into a subdivision of 170 people and told them we were running fiber to every one of their homes. Nobody cared, we told them 3 free months of 50Mbps to allow us to replace their copper phone service with fiber, nobody cared. We (our marketing) sent out a semi technical flyer explaining how fiber works by transmitting light through polished glass strains resulting in clearer data transmission and faster transmission than copper. Again nobody cared. A year into this build out we have fiber ran to half the homes in the area, only 11 actually took the service.

No cost to the customer, no commitment, they don't even have to be our customer anymore and if they let us replace our NID on the side of their house with an ONT for fiber we would give them 50Mbps free for 3 months.

A good example of all of this (as it is in many cases) is the movie Idiocracy. They stop using water for stuff and start using sport drinks because it has electrolytes. Nobody knows what electrolytes are just that it is what stuff craves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs

This is how most people are when it comes to their internet connection. They want to get online, they don't care about the technology. They care about the price. they aren't going to know what the difference between a switch, router, firewall, AP router, AP bridge, wireless repeater. Some people don't even care about speed and will still pay for dialup because that is what they have had for years and so they are fine with it.

People might go out and buy powerline adaptors because they were told to. Do you think the average person can explain exactly how powerline works?

Plug in here, go fast as hell.

What's so hard about that?

Back