Consumer Warning Linksys WRT54G and WRT54GS

Wrench00

2[H]4U
Don't buy these routers for their Wireless capabilities. They are really bad routers and CISCO refuse to fix.

These routers have a faulty drivers for their wireless network cards, CISCO knows this but they will not address the issue. Infact these routers might actually have a hardware problem as well which means that the firmware will not fix the problems. I guess they need a lawsuit just like dlink got to get their act together.

Symptoms.

You wireless connection will drop every hour so.

Spotty connections, it will hover any where from 1mb to 54mb.

Router will completly freeze up every 24-36 hours of uptime. You will need to reboot the router at that point.

If you try to transfer any file over 60mb you will cause your router to completly freeze up or it will reset you connection.

These problems seem to effect the following hardware Revisions: 1.1/2/2.2/3

Fixes

Return the router get another router that is not manufactured by the worst company on earth.

There is a Firmware which is beta (4.XX) that fixes some of the problems but there are still numerous problems. Call Linksys for it or google it, I found a link on sveasofts forums. After you get this firmare Turn your MTU down to 1474-1492 range and change you wirless watchdog from 100 to 50.

Any open firmwares that are based on on 3.XX official firmware will not fix these issues.

Misc Notes

If you're using the router for the wired capabilities you will not experience these problems, unless you choose to use the wireless.

I thought this was one of the most popular models of wireless router out there? I know that there are multiple hacked firmware revisions out to add all kinds of features and increase wireless range. I was under the impression that this was one of the best wireless routers you could buy. Where are you getting this information?

Your dropped connections are because of this and other Linksys routers incompatibilities with Wireless Zero Config. You will have better connection if you use the Linksys utility that was included with your wireless card. I didn't like my wireless too much so I have a 50' enthernet cable running across my living room :p

I get similar issues with a couple of 3Com 3CRWE454G72's, though they drop a bit less often than the OP's Linksys example, freezes occur at about the same interval. This is on an all 3Com network with XP and Ubuntu clients (and one of the 3CRWE454G72's as a bridge). Previous Cameo branded products did the same, I'd like to know if there is a reliable product out there as I hear the same things from friends with D-Link and Linksys hardware.

aug1516 said:
I thought this was one of the most popular models of wireless router out there? I know that there are multiple hacked firmware revisions out to add all kinds of features and increase wireless range. I was under the impression that this was one of the best wireless routers you could buy. Where are you getting this information?

I own one and the fact LOTS of people on various forums are reporting the same problems.

Its a piece of tripe.

jamezzz122 said:
Your dropped connections are because of this and other Linksys routers incompatibilities with Wireless Zero Config. You will have better connection if you use the Linksys utility that was included with your wireless card. I didn't like my wireless too much so I have a 50' enthernet cable running across my living room :p

I don't have a have Linksys wireless card I have a Centrino laptop and a 2915 Intel ABG adapter.

The I guess I better get rid of my WRT54G that I've had for over year, which has never had a single problem, has always performed perfectly, and has amazingly great range then, eh? :rolleyes:

ALL wireless router models have the occasional bad egg that suffers from the problems you mentioned. The problem is, unsatisfied customers are always more vocal than satisfied customers. Just because YOU are having a problem doesn't mean it's the manufacturer's fault.

Yep. I have a BEFSR11S4 (the B model) and rarely have problems with the thing. Maybe once every couple months I'll have to reset it and I use it daily. WZC has plenty of problems in it. Fortunately I've never seen any problems in B equipment.

I use a WAP54G (the WAP version) for my grade school and I never have problems with it.

mpeg4v3 said:
The I guess I better get rid of my WRT54G that I've had for over year, which has never had a single problem, has always performed perfectly, and has amazingly great range then, eh? :rolleyes:

ALL wireless router models have the occasional bad egg that suffers from the problems you mentioned. The problem is, unsatisfied customers are always more vocal than satisfied customers. Just because YOU are having a problem doesn't mean it's the manufacturer's fault.

No it is Linksys fault because I called their tech support and they are well aware of this problem they just refuse to fix it.

Aparently the old routers are ok. The new one use a faulty broadcom chip, some Buffalo and Belkin routers are also effected by this.

Do a google on Wrt54g(s) discconnecting.

Also if you would read some of the posts in the Networking section there a several posts that make reference to the Linksys routers.

I swear.. this site is full of idiots. The thread starter is another reason why I pick threads that I read very carefully as to not infect myself with someone's stupidity.

Wrench00 said:
No it is Linksys fault because I called their tech support and they are well aware of this problem they just refuse to fix it.

Aparently the old routers are ok. The new one use a faulty broadcom chip, some Buffalo and Belkin routers are also effected by this.

Do a google on Wrt54g(s) discconnecting.

Also if you would read some of the posts in the Networking section there a several posts that make reference to the Linksys routers.

My friend has a 3 month old 54GS that has also been performing perfectly. I've heard nothing but praise about these routers. And my 54G is a v2, one of the ones you say is "affected"

And guess what, you can google "netgear wireless connection drops", or replace netgear with d-link, or any other router maker- and you can find just as many threads on versions of their routers disconnecting.

Just because you're angry at the fact you've gotten a bad router, please don't turn it into a crusade to make it appear as if EVERY router is bad. You got a bad egg. Deal with it.

Well then the 1 WRT54GS that I have @ home and the 4 I use @ work which I've never had a problem with must be a fluke. :rolleyes:

I don't have that model, but I have the 802.11b router and it kinda sucks. A friend of mine has the 54g and he's had it for 2-3 years now and never had a problem. Any more details like PCB revisions? mfr date ranges?

shade91 said:
I swear.. this site is full of idiots. The thread starter is another reason why I pick threads that I read very carefully as to not infect myself with someone's stupidity.

I stated facts that this router has problems and numerous other do to. I posted it because people might want to save them selves a headache by reading the thread.

So instead of actually posting anything factual you result to name calling? I guess I maybe an idiot but at least I am not on a intelectual level of an ameoba.

Google the Linksys routers. Then you will know why I chose not to buy one.

Its not worth it for me to take a chance with my hard-earned money. I dont have time to mess around with broken half-assed equipment either.

Not that the linksys routers are half assed, but that there are far too many complaints about them.

Wrench00 said:
So instead of actually posting anything factual you result to name calling? I guess I maybe an idiot but at least I am not on a intelectual level of an ameoba.

While I agree that he was somewhat rude, next time you try to insult someone's intelligence, it may help to spell intellectual and amoeba correctly. :D

It's not really a router, it's a gateway. It has rudimentary routing functions but by default it acts as a gateway. Check the advanced options if you don't belive me.

Most residential home gateways are crap, my new Linux router outperforms them at a fraction of the cost.

%99.9 of the time it's the networking gear on the nodes end that is causing the issue, I used to set those bad boys up almost every day and it was almost always an issue with a card or a wireless adapter. Ive never had an issue with CISCO products to the extent you are reporting, LINKSYS is a sub company of CISCO, two very different beasts.

Aironet stuff is very very reliable.

Linksys can be another story...although out of all the manufacturers out there I would pick linksys over dlink/netgear/etc for SOHO use.

You wanna talk about good gear? There are certain symbol wireless networking cards that can connect up to 3 networks simultaneously and hardly ever drop connection. Cant remember the model rght now I'll have to ask my boss on monday

Bought a WRT54G, put Alchemy firmware on it, threw it in a closet and haven't had to touch it since......I don't even know how many months it's been on now.

bob said:
Google the Linksys routers. Then you will know why I chose not to buy one..

While your at it Google DLink routers. SMC, Netgear, etc.... You get what you pay for. Linksys is no worse than any other and better than most.

like I said... they're all the same. They all have problems cause we are guinea pigs for their higher end lines. The SOHO stuff, is mostly junk/prototype stuff that they try on us to see how it works. I've read many articles on this. You can go to the store and buy 15 D-Link 624's and open them all up and have 10 different internals. It's craziness.

QJ

QwertyJuan said:
like I said... they're all the same. They all have problems cause we are guinea pigs for their higher end lines. The SOHO stuff, is mostly junk/prototype stuff that they try on us to see how it works. I've read many articles on this. You can go to the store and buy 15 D-Link 624's and open them all up and have 10 different internals. It's craziness.

QJ

That's for damn sure!

My WRT54GS has been very good to me. Never ever had it lock up and I've never had a dropped connections. It's been solid since day one (even better with sveasoft's firmware). I always recomend this router to friends and they have never come back to me saying I recomended them crap.

I'm a netgear guy myself. All routers will flake once in awhile, but that's no excuse for poor customer service. The OP has a gripe if its defective and they will not fix it. I would suggest looking into the driver issues with your connecting card. The zero-config I have seen cause lotsa problems, with all kinds of routers. My original Netgear router got fried by a lightning storm, and I just assumed upgrade it to the newer model with the USB Storage port, but for the most part its been running like a dream.

i know the linksys wrt54gs is a pos..

i dont have dropped connections to often, but every so often i ahve to reboot+clear flash. It won't pull an IP from my cable modem, evne when i do release/renew, renew several times.

i have to turn off both the modem and the router for like 5 minutes, and turn them back on at the same time when this happens.

ugh!!! :mad:

Pixeleet said:
My WRT54GS has been very good to me. Never ever had it lock up and I've never had a dropped connections. It's been solid since day one (even better with sveasoft's firmware). I always recomend this router to friends and they have never come back to me saying I recomended them crap.

Sveasoft's firmware is illegal as it violates the GPL license in which the orginal Linksys firmware was released under.

Higher end Cisco routers are no better. They are more reliable but they charge you an arm and a leg for everything. Want a 4-port switch in your router? Better pay $300 for the module. Want more WAN connections? $250, cha-ching. Want to upgrade your router's IOS? Better have a service contract or no dice.

Stang Man said:
i dont have dropped connections to often, but every so often i ahve to reboot+clear flash. It won't pull an IP from my cable modem, evne when i do release/renew, renew several times.

Same problem here. However, a release/renew on the router fixes it for me.

Back