Consumer HDR Monitors

Any Idea when consumer HDR monitors coming out? I rather have a monitor with better color reproduction than higher refresh rate!

10:49 "...my understanding is early next year"

So far, only way to get HDR hardware support is on a high end TV

HDR needs more bandwidth, DP 1.3 minimum to be useful IMO. You can get WCG & 10bit DP 1.2 monitors already though if its just about colors in photoshop or whatever.

HDR on HDMI limited to 24/30hz @ 4k, great for content, no-go for games etc. I can't imagine trying to calibrate any TV for graphics work either, probably an exercise in futility.

Buy a good monitor now. I bet that the first HDR monitors that come into market merely try to cash in with the name, but are unable to fully utilize it. Capable of intaking HDR signal and maybe showing 10-bit + near DCI-P3 colorspace, but actual dynamic range is either really bright or really dark a'la good old "dynamic contrast" that was oh so popular with the monitors back in the day. True HDR needs either Oled, FALD or a VA panel with really high ANSI contrast ratio (and latter still needs some dynamic contrast tricks to work. See latest Samsung 2016 TV's) and none of them exist yet in smaller monitor sizes, atleast in consumer markets.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Buy a good monitor now. I bet that the first HDR monitors that come into market merely try to cash in with the name, but are unable to fully utilize it. Capable of intaking HDR signal and maybe showing 10-bit + near DCI-P3 colorspace, but actual dynamic range is either really bright or really dark a'la good old "dynamic contrast" that was oh so popular with the monitors back in the day. True HDR needs either Oled, FALD or a VA panel with really high ANSI contrast ratio (and latter still needs some dynamic contrast tricks to work. See latest Samsung 2016 TV's) and none of them exist yet in smaller monitor sizes, atleast in consumer markets.

Yup. Closest thing now is the Seki Pro, it's the only one with a FALD that can actually run full on. Others are limited by time and area and will turn the output down.
I guess Seki is the only ones who actually invested in heatsinking the damn led array. No doubt you'll see more pathetic shit like this in due course (gimped FALD etc etc).

Depending on who you believe, late 2016/early 2017 for HDR-capable monitors. First generation products are usually highly priced, and by 2-3 years later, that first generation falls way behind in features/quality. So, I'm expecting 3-4 years from now before HDR monitors are of sufficient quality and value as to be worth buying for high-end gamers.

Back