• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Constructive Criticism

satriani5902

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
395
Greetings,

I am creating a website for my cousin. She sells gift boxes for weddings. It is located at (www.welcomebliss.com/index.php)

Before you comment on the text, I would like to point out that she requested that I include that rare text throughout the site. Thus, I included the text as a picture because not many people have the French Script Font.

I would also like comments on if there is too much 'white space' and if so what I could do to amend this problem.

Finally, are there any other general suggestions for improvement?

P.S. The links don't work.
 
I find the font nearly unreadable. Search engines won't be able to read it, either.
 
1. I can't read the writing
2. The pictures look blurry
3. Search engines won't index it due to no text
4. Invalid HTML 4.01 transitional
5. No alt attribute for the image
 
I agree with the above posters, the text is hard to read.

You should also consider META tags in the source so search engines can index it allowing people to find it. You probably already thought about this so sorry if ya have.
 
I have to agree with what's been said about putting the text in a graphic. Keep in mind that the higher your rez, the smaller the "text" will be. At 1024x768 I can't really read it, either, and script fonts are horrible for body copy.

The text in the logo is smaller than for the navigation and the logo overall just doesn't do it for me. Black is not a good color for anything associated with a wedding. Heck, even mortuary sites tend to shy away from black.

Your cousin may really want that font, but it is your job to let her know that usability of the site will be an important factor in its success, i.e., converting visitors to buyers.

Please don't take away my expectations of how I use my browser, such as setting a default font/size that is easy for me to read. And what of the visually impaired who use a text reader? The best you could do is put the text into the "alt" tag, but search engines are likely to see this as "tag stuffing" and you could end up being penalized for it.
 
Take a minute and think about the subject. What is so important to people about weddings? It's purely visual. People spend all of that money getting their hair done, fancy clothes, big fancy cake, decorations, nice card, fancy hotel room, big church. All of those things are visual. Your website is black and white. Put a picture in there of real people and have people see the imagery. That will make a big difference in the page.
 
general said:
What is so important to people about weddings? It's purely visual.
It is? There's no emotional component?
 
mikeblas said:
It is? There's no emotional component?

I believe the best way to meet that component is the same as the latter.
 
Too plain, background changes from page to page (consistancy is a key to web design). Top needs black background, as it looks incomplete by the white picture in the top right corner. Perhaps she's better off hiring someone to design a layout and then you can code the individual pages?
 
BBowermaster said:
Too plain, background changes from page to page (consistancy is a key to web design). Top needs black background, as it looks incomplete by the white picture in the top right corner. Perhaps she's better off hiring someone to design a layout and then you can code the individual pages?
unfortunately she doesn't have the budget to hire someone. Thanks for the suggestion though.
 
If you are going to use the html 4.01 transitional doctype, you need to have it include the DTD uri. If you don't, browsers will render the page in quirks mode instead of standards mode. The quirks mode rendering of one browser can be way off compared to another.

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" [color=yellow]"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"[/color]>

See:
http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html
http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/doctype/
 
Back
Top