• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Constant HDD LED blinking

FlipperBizkut

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 25, 2002
Messages
1,268
My HDD activity LED constantly flashes. It goes at a pretty steady rate of one blink per second. I have checked for viruses and spyware, and it came up clean. I have turned off the page file, so that can't be it. It is really starting to drive me crazy. Any ideas what this could be? I'm running WinXP.
 
Is this with no applications running in the background? If so, there may be some processes or services running in the background, which are accessing the hard drive.
 
DFI Lanparty 939
Opteron 165
2GB G.Skill
WD 2500KS (main HDD)
Seagate 320GB 7200.10 (storage drive)
XFX 7900GS
DVD Burner

No apps are running. I even went as far as to go into the task manager and end all tasks that it would let me end. Still the blinking.

The blinking was going on before I installed any av software, but I installed AVG and AdAware to eliminate viruses as the problem.

Both HDDs are connected via SATA and one of my DVD burners are SATA as well.

Thanks.
 
I also ran WD data lifeguard tools to make sure that the drive was OK. It passed the long test.
 
It might just be a faulty LED or something; however, that seems pretty unlikely. Can you hear the drive being 'active'?
 
Did it just start doing this out of the blue or did you change something in your system? Does it show any HDD activity or does it only blink?

I know it's silly to check the simple stuff first, but if this isn't an out of the blue thing make sure you have the HDD LED wires connected to the correct pins on the mobo.
 
I can't hear the drives at all. I figure that the LED is connected correctly since the activity certainly increses when I access the HDD or burners. In fact, I am burning a CD right now, and the light is staying on (like it should).

To tell the truth, I don't know how long this has been going on. I just happened to look down at the case a couple of days ago and notice it. Now, I can't take my eyes off it!
 
Back
Top