Constant Dropping Connection...

kilik123

Weaksauce
My internet connection has becoming consistently wonky. It works fine from a speed standpoint however ever i am constantly getting a dropped connection. At various time intervals my connection we just quit for a short period of time usually between 30secs to a min or so at which point if im logged on to aim that'll reconnect as well as xchat and my browser will not load any pages i was trying to load while the reconnect takes place. Not to mention when using bt all connections drop to peers and reconnect.

I have no idea where to even start on troubleshooting this since im pretty well a noob at networking problems. The details of the network are as follows, if you need to know anything else just ask!

ISP : Insight Cable
Cable Modem : Webstar by Scientific Atlanta dcp2100 series
Router: Linksys BEFW11s4
Computers: Laptop and Desktop connected by cable with static ips

The only idea i have is that it might be router related and if so take that out of the equation and just run one computer on the cable modem and see if the dropped connection still persists but again im not sure if the router could cause an issue such as this?

It definitely sounds like a router problem. A lot of the consumer routers just can't handle the number of connections that Bittorrent generations - it quickly fills up the connection pool and the router disconnects from the net. Also, it seems to be a trend but Linksys firmware seem to keep connections open for a long time (like days by default).

My suggestion will be to limit the maximum number of global connections your bt client makes, and perhaps look into upgrading firmware.

Router is upgraded to the latest firmware that i could find on the linksys sight so thats not an option to try and fix it.

Ill see about the limit on connections for bt, any idea what i should set the max to?

Im not sure that is the problem either, got a different router at my parents house (netgear not sure the model but its 4port 802.11b ) and never had this sort of problem running bt on it and i think the connection drops when not running my bt client, could be wrong since i rarely dont have it not downloading something...

In that case, you can try downgrading firmware. ;)

Anyway, as for global connections, set the max to maybe 150 or 200, and connections per torrent to 30 or 40. I think most clients default to 80 per.

Back