Constant driver restart.

NeghVar

2[H]4U
Event viewer is showing this warning multiple times per hour since 6/3/2017
"Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I tried an uninstall and reinstall of drivers. The latest drivers are installed. I have not done a reinstall of the OS. Any clues as to what may be causing this to happen?

Be nice to know some info about your system... I've been getting this too on a mostly emulator rig with a AMD 8350 and RX460, usually when running the Dolphin emulator, but did it with a 3D screen saver also, screen goes black, pc eventually reboots itself. Noticed many of the same messages in Event Viewer, seems to happen maybe once at some point after booting up and running something that uses the GPU for a bit and after the crash/reboot, its fine for the rest of the time. Updating drivers didn't help. IDK?

There are many with far deeper and broader knowledge than I have. However, have you used DDU to totally uninstall old drivers? Has this occurred since a driver update or has it been constant since you installed the video card?

Try the clean install option on the drivers itself. I think it is on the bottom of the window if you install choose custom option ....

There are many with far deeper and broader knowledge than I have. However, have you used DDU to totally uninstall old drivers? Has this occurred since a driver update or has it been constant since you installed the video card?
I have noticed DDU actually helping with my newer card...Its always the first thing i do to troubleshoot any kind of display driver crash. For some reason with my older card it wasnt needed very much and just installing over the top method worked fine in most cases....I wonder if op is using a polaris card?

Problem: a thing called TDR checker monitors the computers hardware, particularly the GPU, is say the GPU stops responding with the computer for 2 seconds TDR checker restarts the driver. The TDR checker was good on paper but did not work in the real world. as a gpu can stop responding when it is working hard.

Issue since the time of vista, thats why this problem virually never happened on XP

Here is the solution
Exit all Windows based programs.
Click Start, type regedit in the Search box, and then double-click regedit.exe from the results above. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Browse to and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002 (sometimes called ControlSet001) \Control\GraphicsDrivers

On the Edit menu, click New, and then select the following registry value from the drop-down menu specific to your version of Windows (32 bit, or 64 bit):

For 32 bit Windows
Select DWORD (32-bit) value.
Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and click OK.

For 64 bit Windows
Select QWORD (64-bit) value.
Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and clickOK.

Close the registry editor and then restart your computer for the changes to take affect.

This puts a delay on the tdr checker of 8 seconds thus the gpu can stop responding for 10 seconds, usually this fixes the problem, if you are still suffering from this issue (after updates or a reinstall of drivers, you know all that annoying driver stuff)
Then do this, do the same thing but instead of "TdrDelay" type "TdrLevel" enter the data value as 0 (it is set to that natively, but double check) then delete the TdrDelay,

Restart

That completely turns off Tdr checker, so now windows 7/vista/8 now works more like windows XP

I thought the same thing until I turned off the TDR checker. There is a good chance you will never have another one again like me.

Last edited:
Back